Stock '66 520 Wheel Specs

zachreini

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I use Datsun 620 disc brake wheels on just about everything I own, they have worked on everything I have put them on so far.

The 66 Datsun 520 didn't come with disc brakes, so you really need to ask what folks are using on whatever disc brakes you have.

Do your front wheels have a wider stance than your back wheels have now?

• Like 1

I installed Mike Klotz's disc brake kit because with 1/8" spacers you can use stock wheels.

Beebani's disk brake kit you have to use larger diameter wheels.

Read through Wayno's and my 520 threads and you will learn a lot about the 520's.

• Like 1

I installed Mike Klotz's disc brake kit because with 1/8" spacers you can use stock wheels.

Beebani's disk brake kit you have to use larger diameter wheels.

Read through Wayno's and min 520 threads and you will learn a lot about the 520's.

Charlie, you can use stock wheels with Mikes kit, but you have to knock the high spots down with a hammer, I even have used 320 wheels on Mikes kit, but I had to grind a little off the top of each rivet for them to clear the calipers.

Using drop spindles is different, you have to cut the end of the arm off like you did to clearance the stock wheels or use larger diameter wheels. 

• Like 1

I use Datsun 620 disc brake wheels on just about everything I own, they have worked on everything I have put them on so far.

The 66 Datsun 520 didn't come with disc brakes, so you really need to ask what folks are using on whatever disc brakes you have.

Do your front wheels have a wider stance than your back wheels have now?

They're still stock all the way around. Just getting ideas as of now. Haven't done any mods yet. 

By the looks of it you can't use the stock spindles on these kits, correct? Best donor spindles?

Making a post about my build shortly.

• Like 1

I have Mike Klotz's kit behind stock 14" wheel too. 1/8" spacer, and had to tap the edge of the caliper with a grinder... literally just bumped it to clean the casting flashing. They work great. Now I don't have to plan my emergency stops 10 seconds in advance.

• Like 1

I have Mike Klotz's kit behind stock 14" wheel too. 1/8" spacer, and had to tap the edge of the caliper with a grinder... literally just bumped it to clean the casting flashing. They work great. Now I don't have to plan my emergency stops 10 seconds in advance.

Instead of messing with the calipers I just knocked down the 8 high spots on the inside of the rim and all is good, no spacers needed, I even can use the 1990 V6 hardbody dual piston brake calipers as they clear also after them high spots are hammered down, I just use a regular hammer.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

The stock wheels Wayno is referring to that fit Mike Klotz's disc brake kit is the 1978 1979 620 disc brake wheel. 

DSCN0083-1.jpg

Picture courtesy of Wayno.

Mike's kit also contains spindle bearing spacers and sleeves so that you can run the 720 hub and bearings on the stock 320, 520, and 521 spindle.  The 720 hubs are the same whether it is a vented rotor (Late model) or non vented rotor (Early model).  I run the early model non vented rotor 720 hubs because I do not have to have the hubs turned to fit the early model wheels.

This is probably confusing as hell but after you start to read and study the 521 it will all make sense.

The stock wheels Wayno is referring to that fit Mike Klotz's disc brake kit is the 1978 1979 620 disc brake wheel.  Mike kit also contains spindle bearing spacers and sleeves so that you can run the 720 hub and bearings on the stock 320, 520, and 521 spindle.  The 720 hubs are the same whether it is a vented rotor (Late model) or non vented rotor (Early model).  I run the early model non vented rotor 720 hubs because I do not have to have the hubs turned to fit the early model wheels.

This is probably confusing as hell but after you start to read and study the 521 it will all make sense.

I suppose I should have been more clear Charlie, I do not use spacers on any of my trucks, and I can use any Datsun truck rim I want to, the late 620 disc brake rims bolt right on without mods, any of the rims before the disc brake rims need 8 high spots hammered down, I am talking about 520/521/620 drum brake rims, knock down the 8 high spots with a hammer and they will mount without a spacer and not hit/touch anything on a converted disc brake front end using Mikes kit, the 320 rims are different, instead of being welded together, they are riveted together, to use them I have to grind off a little off the top of each rivet to mount them over disc brake calipers, again I do not use spacers on any of my Datsun trucks and i can use any Datsun truck drum brake rim I want made from 1962 thru 1977.

• Like 1

I understand what you are saying Wayno.  I use the 1/8" shim so I do not have to modify my stock wheels.  The 1/8" spacer also makes the 195 75 R14 tires sit better in the wheel well in my opinion.

I like the looks of the 78 79 620 wheels and they give the option of running stock dog dishes (hub caps).

Since I changed to a 1980 720 chassis and went to the Belltech lower spindles I am having to get creative to still be able to tun stock 14" wheels.

I know you cut the tips off, I thought that was an awesome fix/mod, I already had made my drop arms by the time I had read about how you did it, otherwise I would have used the drop spindles I have, the 521 kingcab and likely the 720 dually will get the drop spindles and the tips cut off, but the 720 is a work truck at the moment, I am not really liking the suspension on it right now, too soft for a work truck.

I don't consider taking 5/10 minutes to hammer the 8 high spots down on 4 wheels a modification, it so small of a change that it is hard to tell anything was done.

As you know 66 is on a 1986 frame and it is low, that year has the widest rear axle, it was a pain finding tires that would fit inside the fender well that didn't rub the inside of the well, mine are not rolled in the rear either.

DSCN7545.jpg

• Like 1