Get it done, 521

volkswagner

Got the 3.7's in the rear. Wow what a great improvement. So much nicer to drive on the freeway. Obviously I have to down shift in a couple more places on my commute but that way outweighs the high RPM of the shorter gears for me. 
IT's funny, now that the motor isn't so loud, I realize I really need some new window felt. So much wind noise all of a sudden!

Note on the diff install. When I went to jam the new diff in the housing something was clashing. I could only get to about 1/4" gap and then something clashing. 
I suspect it was the bearing caps hitting the lip where the housing pumpkin is welded on. I started some of the nuts and torqued them a little at a time to see if it was maybe just a burr on the housing or something stopping it. Right as I was about to give up and didn't want to torque any more it jumped into place. Then everything moved perfectly freely. I took it out at one point and could see no witnesss marks of where it was hitting. Anyone run into this? Just curiosity at this point now that it's in.

• Like 1
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

I pulled the wagon into the garage for motor swap so I've been dailying the 521. 

It's been much nicer since the 3.7 gears. However, low rev. high torques boggs on my commute have taken their toll on the already weak clutch. 
It was almost to the point where I would have to give it enough power to slip in order to make it to 4th on the highway. No bueno.

Luckily, I just barely put a new clutch int the wagon about a 1000 miles ago an now with the motor swap I won't be using it. Love being able to repurpose parts!
Unfortunately the lightened flywheel from the wagon is 6 bolt. Can't win them all.

Had to take advantage of the sun since the wagon is hogging my 1 bay.
b9Xyw14.jpg

Clearly the clutch was actually toast and it wasn't a different issue. Worn to the rivets and started marking the pressure plate, luckily didn't marr the flywheel.
1kc8enz.jpg?1

Test drive success, had to have been the easiest transmission job I've ever done.
Question though, if I actually wanted to take the tranny out, do you have to remove the torsion rods? Didn't look like it would fall between them. 

• Like 2

If you have a bench seat in a 521, you have to remove it to remove the transmission, and the plate in the cab that covers the shifter.

Do all the normal remove transmission stuff, remove the rear transmission mount from the frame cross member.  

The transmission can then be slid aft, until the input shaft clears the pressure plate.  I think you can then rest the transmission on the torsion bars, and relax for a bit.  Then roll the transmission slightly, the starter bump will clear the torsion bars, you can drop the front of the transmission, while the tailshaft goes in to the cab, where the seat was, and then slide the transmission forward and down under the engine, and the tail shaft clears the transmission cross member. 

With me, putting the front end of the 521 up on drive on ramps gets the truck high enough that I can work easily under the truck, but not so high that I am reaching up too far.

• Like 2