Project Storage tub.

Str8jacket

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Had a crack last week and got a bit done. Only just had time now to update. The exhaust is fully done from engine to the tail pipe. Went 2in OD off the headers on each bank merged to a 2.5in single to the back. Single offset muffler and a single 14in resonator. Hopefully it sounds good.

Finished the tailshaft stuff. Centre bearing etc. Got the tubes welded in for the crankcase evac in the exhaust merges.

Got back to the air filter from hell. Took some stuffing around to get it to all work right with bonnet open close etc. Happy with the results though. The base plate that sits on the carbs is Version 3.6 revision C. Was over it by the end. All so i can see trumpets when i open the bonnet!

20180219_134846.jpg

20180219_154957.jpg

Getting to the end fiddly stuff now! Getting excited!

• Like 3

Ha ve been all over the show doing bits and pieces. Welded in the bungs for the exhaust crank case evac, have finished the top plate on the carbs, put in the pcv, have run ot a bit different so hope it works ok. Want to have the exhaust evac suck through a catch can through both rocker covers, if the vacuum drops or pressure builds up it will vent to the air filter box. Fingers crossed.

Radiator is in. Looks to be heaps of room to put the thermo on as a sucker, never been a fan of blower thermos. Need to make a small bit of ducting in the bumper for better air flow.

Bottom rad hose i managed to mek various bits and pieces from the pathfinder fit straight up. Need to move my top radiator hose tube from one side to the other, thats on today.

Went a little ratrod on my fuel system! I think it lools pretty cool.

20180302_103609.jpg

20180302_103547.jpg

• Like 2

Another pick of the "fuel rail". Mounted catch can on fire wall. Covers the flashy fuel reg a bit, might paint that, not aure it blends with my crappy engine bay paint job.

A mate gave it to me, its an ole skool shift knob.

20180302_104824.jpg

Need to run a fuel return pipe.

Make up a bracket for the coil packs to sit on. Lots to do.

• 2 weeks later...

Spent way to much time messing with the throttle linkage today. Ended up cutting up 3 seperate cable pulleys off of the 2 vg33 motors i have and welding them together to get what i hope will work nicely. I off set the pulley so the throttle gets progressively fast as it opens. Hope to be not to sensitive off idle. Had my first go at putting a new lead end on a cable as well. Worked out ok. See how long it lasts. Waiting on some studs to hold down the carbs and should be close to done on this bit.

20180314_170817.jpg

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Been flat out so limited time on the ute. Have had a bit of small stuff done ignition leads made mounted coil pack some brackets for the throttle cable.

This arvo i decided i didnt like having the trigger wheel for the megajolt hanging all the way out the front of the crank pulley. Looked shit. Needed a big bracket that could possibly vibrate and cause dramas so i attacked the pulley and got rid of the vee belt provision and modified my trigger wheel so i could mount it on the back.

I had a cool trigger wheel with slots in it which wouldnt work for a press fit on the pulley. Didnt want to wait for another so thought stuff it ill have a go and see if it will work.

I cut out a disc in 3mm and machined it perfect round then welded it to the trigger wheel.

Then cut the centre out

20180401_160327.jpg

Ended up with a deadly ninja star bit

20180401_160319.jpg

Put the pulley in and spent half hour trying to get it dead centre.

20180401_164058.jpg

Machined off the back pulley edge to suit. Made it a few thou bigger diameter than the inside of the trigger wheel. Heated up the trigger wheel and slipped it on.

A few tacks to make sure it wont slip and done. Was super impressed with myself showed the missus. " am i supposed to know what im looking at? "

Whats a bloke supposed to do to hey?

20180401_173154.jpg

20180401_173942.jpg

Really want to hear noise from this thing soon!

• Like 1

You're making some good progress.

Moving the radiator nipple may pose a problem though. The reason they are offset top to bottom is so the coolant travels all the way through the radiator before it goes back into the engine. By moving the upper nipple, you have created a lob sided coolant path. Hot on one side, cool on the other.

Search Google for "dual pass radiator" and you'll see what I'm talking about.

I don't know what real-world effect this will have on your system. It's possible, depending on the size and layout of your fan(s), that you won't even notice.

• Like 1

You're making some good progress.

Moving the radiator nipple may pose a problem though. The reason they are offset top to bottom is so the coolant travels all the way through the radiator before it goes back into the engine. By moving the upper nipple, you have created a lob sided coolant path. Hot on one side, cool on the other.

Search Google for "dual pass radiator" and you'll see what I'm talking about.

I don't know what real-world effect this will have on your system. It's possible, depending on the size and layout of your fan(s), that you won't even notice.

Yeah im not terribly happy with the radiator in general. The po had the switch for the thermal fan relays in the bottom tank on opposite side of the nipple. Fans would only kick in when really hot. Plus it appears i have given away my 14in fan so it only has the 10in on there. Im thinking get it running and look at it with a thermal camera i use at work and see whats going on. Will baffle accordingly or buy a new rad and fan set up.

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...
3 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

That is a sexy beast.

Have you tested your intake for vacuum leaks yet?

No i havent had a chance to work on the ute in over 2 months. Its really pissing me off. Everything should settle down in the next few weeks and i can finish it off. All the big stuff is done, it needs a bit of wiring and hosing on engine, new water pump and timing belt fit up the radiator. Then it all comes out to put new clutch in and it should be ready to start. 

• Like 1