Snap, Crackle, Pop

Conner

I'm thinking my starter may have been replaced with a later, perhaps J13, starter with the integrated solenoid before I got the truck.  The starter is a Mitsubishi MCA03-0 starter and has part 23300-B5010 cast into it near the nose.  Also, when I removed and replaced the battery cable the nut required a 13 mm socket--another clue that this is from a later truck.  

• Like 1
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, I have no idea what you have, if you have a starter with the solenoid on it then you have to wire the truck differently, it would be wired more like a negative ground vehicle.

The negative battery cable would go to the starter, then another large cable would likely have to go to the generator or regulator from that starter lug, the positive cable would go to the block.

I have no idea if this would work either, especially with the starter you have, I just don't know, are you sure that starter will work on the flywheel you have, have you ever turned it over with that starter?

• Like 1

Oh boy.  I'm not wedded to keeping this truck positive ground.  Just thought it would be easier to get it running as-is without changing too much, and I would like to keep the generator if possible.  Can I just reverse the wires and switch to negative ground?  There's no radio in the truck.  Will the generator work with a negative ground set-up?  

Alternatively some of the British vendors (like Moss) sell starters that I have heard will work and I assume they are positive ground, and they also sell the external solenoid that looks similar to the stock on on the 320.  That's another possibility.  

Steve--it is a 64 L320 and is a column shift.  And yes, I'm the one who pulled together the engine bay grommets.  

Thanks for your help.  

• Like 1

That is the type of starter I have on all my 320 trucks, I also had a MG Midget starter that looked like my 320 starters, but I was able to sell that engine so i never test fit that starter to see if it would work on a Datsun engine.

You can see if it will turn the engine over if the engine is not seized, all you have to do is put the transmission in neutral, connect the battery cables up(positive ground), then it would be best to use a remote trigger but all you need to do is give the starter exciter wire post power and it should turn over, and what I mean is power from the negative post on the battery to the exciter post on the solenoid, that will activate the starter.

You cannot just switch to negative ground, the generator will not  work and it could possibly hurt it, I do not know if it can switch it to negative ground but someone likely can but why, if going negative ground just use an alternator. 

I just went out and tested a starter with a solenoid both ways and it worked both ways(positive and negative ground), it also turned the same way both ways/times so it is likely the starter will work no matter what way it is wired, but the generator doesn't work that way.

If you turn it over and it sounds bad/wrong stop as the teeth on the flywheel might not be the same as the ones on the starter.

• Like 1