'85 4x4

ClumsyBird

IMG_0103.jpgIMG_0100.jpg

Here is the culprit in question... Looks to be some sort of ECU

IMG_0101.jpg

Here's the alternator off my grey truck (the one I'm not keeping), as you can see, the plug is different than the one I have on my white frame (the one I am keeping), and since the wiring harness is off the grey one, it has a different plug. Here's the alternator I'm using now

IMG_0102.jpg

Additionally, I am currrently trying to retrofit the white truck with powersteering from the grey truck. However, the steering column wont reach all the way to the powersteering gearbox. And this is the matching powersteering gearbox and steering column from the grey truck (thanks wayno), the only thing that is changed is that it's now on the white frame. I am clueless

IMG_0103.jpg

And since this is the 100th post on this thread, here's a photo I found online, for all I know, it could be my truck 30 years in the past. But super cherry, come onnnn

Good_looking_720.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All while I'm messing with the cab swab, I took the transmission out of the non-running grey truck (fs5w71c) and brought it to the shop to rebuild as a spare or maybe sell. Disassembly was relatively easy as long as you follow the service manual, figured out I needed all new bearings, the center mainshaft bearing lost all of its bearings and they got shredded by the transmission, which explains all the metal shavings I found in the bung. I could probably use new a new first synchro too. Shift forks seem a little worn and I would have replaced them if I was working on somebody else's rig, but they are sufficent for my purposes, probably couldn't find new ones anyway. The only really concerning thing I found besides the bearing was the end of my mainshaft seems very worn, the drive side. I included a photo below, I plan to put it in the lathe and cut it down. Probably replace whatever the shaft seats itself in, I didn't get a chance to check that out, it's likely a brass bushing, no? Any other parts I should replace while I am in there? And any recommendations for a decent rebuild kit would be welcome, I'm wary of buying mine off ebay. 

Shiftforks.jpg

Shiftforks.jpg

• Like 1

Shiftforks.jpg

The end at the bottom in this picture??? Don't touch it. It sits in a pilot bushing in the end of the crankshaft. If you 'turn it down' the fit will be too loose and the clutch disc will wobble.

If you have this style of shifter it's a 71B

Ywqvd3K.jpg?1 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Ah it was indeed a b-series, and I ended up not touching the pilot shaft. There's a vendor off of ebay (Vital parts) who is close to me and sells OEM Nachi bearings rebuild kits and I ended up going with him for a very reasonable price of 50$, here's the link- https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fits-Nissan-5SPD-Transmission-Rebuild-Kit-Cars-Trucks-1984-FS5W71H-FS5W71C/282130700624?hash=item41b04cd950:g:bMUAAOSwQItT0ywv&vxp=mtr

• Like 1

I've been following your build closely redhead, and yes I would like a canopy for a shortbed! Just PM me. Looks like I'll have to sell the longbed canopy.  All whilst this is going on, I broke some teeth on my counter gear! Does anybody by any chance have a spare I could buy?? They are very expensive online...

gear1.jpg

gear2.jpg

• Like 1

There are several ratio sets that are matched to the drive gear above them. As they are in mesh at all times a foreign object must have gotten between them to cause this or maybe dropped? I'll have a look round and see what I might have. I'll be in Canby in a month.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I actually broke that gear by using a gear puller. I ended up ripping the counter gear for that transmission out of my "working transmission", I put quotations because I found chunks of gear and race in that transmission's oil and said to heck with it, its going to blow out anyways. So I pulled the transmission and of course the main bearing was out, but in this transmission the gears were shot, so I stole the counter gear (great shape oddly enough) and will likely end up throwing the rest away. Reassembled that transmission and I am waiting until I finish my head gasket to put it all back in, so I can put that aside for the moment...

So with the engine and transmission out of the truck, I am now able to focus on electrical issues and the interior. I did a little digging and found out that not only is my gray truck a longbed, its a deluxe model. Looks like the deluxe package came with a trip meter built into your odometer, that sweet wood accent in the dash, an extra light on your temperature controls, a tilt steering wheel, a leather shifting boot, oil and volt gauges, locking glovebox, sensors for your doors and seatbelts, and some neat little armrests on your door. There's probably more, but those are the ones I've found so far. 

So besides the update, I of course have some questions:

Is it alright to add in extra light bulbs to the cluster? There's some extra slots for them, but I don't want to cause a short!

I've noticed a severe lack of cup holders, does anybody have a good solution for this?

Do plastic kicker panels for these trucks exist? Mine were both some sort of vinyl and I want to replace

And has anybody on here redone their carpet? What should I use? Mine was trashed so I had to take it all out, I'm thinking some vinyl from rock auto, and some insulation/noise dampening material of some sort?

I have the dash completely out of the truck so while I'm in there if you guys have any suggestions, as always they are welcome!

• Like 1

Extra bulbs are OK.

Yes there were plastic kick panels. I think.... April '85 build date, and on were two piece plastic. Earlier were vinyl covered cardboard. Use black plastic paint because surely you'll find them but they are Blue or tan.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Somehow I found black ones, at a junk yard near me for very cheap. Along with a bunch of other little very-hard-to-find stuff, It was the only 720 there and it was in near mint condition. Here's what I got:

IMG_0209.jpg

No clue why it was in a junkyard! And it still has a bunch of mint condition parts on it, so  for those of you NW rats here's the row52 listing for it; pick 'n pull south portland, Row 38.

IMG_0208.jpg

Also I decided to paint my engine bay and floorplans while the truck is completely stripped, I used Bill Hirsch Super Black Semi Gloss chasis paint, and while its quite hard to find, I would highly recommend it if you can get it. It cost me 35 bucks (2 pints) to do my entire engine bay and cab, the same amount of POR15 would have cost 70. 

IMG_0225.jpg

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

There is a mounting bracket that goes between the engine and compressor. It has a tensioner pulley on it. Accumalators, expansion valves, evaporators and compressors are available on ebay. there is a idle stepup solenoid on factory hitachi carbs that could be useful as well as the a/c switch on the climate control. there is that cool underhood light by the brake booster.

Edited by DrvnDrvr
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally a clock! I also was able to snag a whole AC system (besides tensioner), another power steering system (besides gearbox), All the extra ST interior pieces, Nissan mud flaps, arm rests, front and rear bumber, center console and a whole bunch of other small stuff. He basically let me loot the truck for 60 bucks

clock.png

Edited by ClumsyBird
  • Like 1

I figured the ST was loaded with option packages. Some things like the variable delay are not an option on some trucks. You would need the headlamp and wiper switch although the wiper part might simply bolt into the place of the old wiper switch. You also need the amplifier beside the steering column over the gas pedal. Last is a wire for the variable resistor. It's a really cool option because the regular wiper switch only has a built in delay that wipes too often or not often enough.

• Like 1