Changed steering wheel, now car won’t start

Newbie here-

I just changed my steering on my 1970 510, put everything back and now car won’t start. Battery is fine, I didn’t mess with any of the wiring during the replacement. What’s going on? Has anyone had this problem?

Thanks!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have an automatic???

Changed the steering? including the steering column? or just the steering wheel??? Steering column would have included disconnecting the ignition switch. Ignition switch plug came loose while working on it. (it happens)

Turn the ignition key and nothing happens? OR

Turn the ignition key and engine starter works but doesn't start? .....

• Like 1

Because you changed the steering wheel, I suspect the wiring around the ignition (key) switch was disturbed.  If a 510 has a neutral safety switch, that could be a possible problem also.

There is a 1/4 spade (flat) on the starter solenoid.  The solenoid is the smaller round thing on top of the starter, with a connection that the positive battery is bolted to, a connection on a wire that goes inside the starter, and the spade terminal in the middle of the two bigger connections.

Make sure the car is out of gear, the emergency brake is on hard, and the wheels are blocked so the car cannot roll.  

Take the wire off the small spade terminal on the starter solenoid, when you get a good battery in the car.   Use a screwdriver, or a small piece of wire to connect the small terminal on the starter solenoid to the positive battery cable connection on the solenoid.  The engine should crank.

If the engine cranks, use a test light, check for power at the ignition switch.  If you have power there, turn the switch to the start position, check for power on the terminal of the ignition switch that connects to the wire going to the starter solenoid. 

If you have power there, you may have to look for a neutral safety switch, if a 510 has one.  I have 521 trucks.  They do not have such luxuries as a neutral safety switch.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...