Icehouse

"Swamp thing" JBC enduro car!

This is the full race album. It's worth a flip through just to see all the varied cars we get to race with. That has to be one of the best parts of this series is the wide range of cars on track.

We get to pass a CRX so that we can pull up next to a Miata only to get blown past by a Corvette.
(That could just as well be written as, pass a 1.6 miata so that we can pull up next to a 1.8 miata, only to get blown past by an Ecotec miata.) 

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipMoFsgaM9Ohqvuq692w85demQMXs1ChpwdxIJMn4fPxRWySMIKWsvyv38zxb8ZYmA?key=S2xaUkY0X3B3b2JCVm1ESVRERGdVVmlHdTY1RTVR

If you're only interested in our beautiful stallion. I have already pulled all out pictures into one album here:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/5giAdSV1EWruVWmf7

Let me walk through some of my favorites.

Turn 1:100+ mph approach braking down to 50mph entry. Turning in at the right time to straighten out the chicane was critical and had big consequences for the exit speed of turn 2. Too soon and you're pointed at the rather large curbing of 2, too late and you're sideways pointed at the in field wall. Very hard to get just right.

DSC-2794.jpg

Turn 2:  Very easy to accidentally pole vault off that curb.  

DSC-7834.jpg

DSC-0717.jpg

Turn 3: Fast wide entry to the 4-5 sweeper combo

DSC-9594.jpg

Turn 4: 4 and 5 turned into mostly a big sweeper with some minor corrections. We would pull some good lateral force here. Take a look at our tire roll in the front! 

DSC-1712.jpg

Turn 6: Really exciting if you happen to be stuck in traffic here. Everyone is on the grip limit coming out of the turn 5 right hander, and then transfer onto the grip limit into the turn 6 left hander. Lots of opportunity for error.

Turn 7: Exiting 7 on to the back "straight" a real weak point for our underpowered boat. 7 was tight enough to discourage any out braking or passing attempts. So, we basically single filed up at 7 in preparation for the straight where 3/4 cars would motor on by. 

DSC-2145.jpg

Turn 8: Personally I spent all of the back straight anticipation and mental prep for the high speed 9,10,11,12 corners at the end. It was just enough time for a breather though.
I like this photo because we are next to Greta. A fan favorite and for good reason. The Ecotec Miata is consistently podium finisher in A class. Piloted by skilled curious drivers and a general joy to drive with. As well it has my favorite flavor of build, a nothing special light weight chassis, well prepared with just enough power to not add excessive weight.  

DSC-0106.jpg

Turn 12: After breathing on the back straight, you don't really get another chance until Exiting turn 12 onto the front. We would be top of 3rd coming out of 12 and on the quick laps, edging the traction limit out to the walls. my favorite part of the course.   

All in all, a fun track.

Edited by volkswagner
  • Like 3

Our weekend hot laps in the fun split view. What sounds better than an SR20? Three harmonizing SR20's!!!

Edited by volkswagner
  • Like 1

So hard keeping up with these boys!  A tenth here and a tenth there sure add up over a lap.  Sam and Jeff are excellent drivers.  I endeavor to close the gap.

That Honda hit was nuts!  He completely pinched me into the wall.

As noted on the previous page - afterwards, neither of us could keep our cars on the track and it was a tough lap getting back to the pits.  We felt for sure we had damage.  Their team went so far as to change the left rear wheel.  We jacked up our car looking for bent suspension and even checked alignment.  Meanwhile the race was red flagged and everyone was brought to pit lane.

It turns out that one of the other cars lost an engine or rear end and doused the entire track in oil. 

The reason we couldn't keep our cars on the track was because we were driving on oil!  Not because of damage.  Both our cars turned out to be fine.  And my underwear were still clean to boot!  : )

Edited by carterb
  • Like 2

Cool photo from the rear facing camera on another C class car.  

Image 11-16-20 at 8.57 AM.jpeg

• Like 4

Great photo.  Whos driving there?

On 11/19/2020 at 1:28 PM, Lockleaf said:

Great photo.  Whos driving there?

I was driving.  Best battle I've had yet!  Here is the view from his car.  

• Like 1

Awesome! So that's 900kg + SR20 verses 1100kg + 13B?

Love to know your thoughts on the strengths of the 510 over the RX7, coz they're both great drivers cars.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, slowlearner said:

Awesome! So that's 900kg + SR20 verses 1100kg + 13B?

Love to know your thoughts on the strengths of the 510 over the RX7, coz they're both great drivers cars.

I’d be interested in your thoughts as well! Really want to find/build a 510... but there are a lot of ready to run rx7 race cars for sale...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, demo243 said:

I’d be interested in your thoughts as well! Really want to find/build a 510... but there are a lot of ready to run rx7 race cars for sale...

I looked at RX7s at the same time I was looking at Datsuns. The early Rx7s (Series 1,2,3) are great cars, but there seems to be more available for datsuns and nissans. Could also be there are lots of Rx7s for sale because they tend to break and be more expensive to fix? A good rotary is not a cheap thing. 

1 hour ago, slowlearner said:

I looked at RX7s at the same time I was looking at Datsuns. The early Rx7s (Series 1,2,3) are great cars, but there seems to be more available for datsuns and nissans. Could also be there are lots of Rx7s for sale because they tend to break and be more expensive to fix? A good rotary is not a cheap thing. 

There was a gen 1 RX7 that used to run with the AutoX club I raced with for a couple years. That car was super sorted and always taking home there fastest times.

I have a soft spot for the RX7 - all three generations - but still like the look of the z better... and my true love is the 510. 

It just gets hard to justify building a race setup 510 when - at least currently - there are a number of prepped RX7s ready to go

Ultimately at the end of the day I always find my self back lusting over a 510 so that’s my plan— but curious to hear OPs opinion on the two cars side by side.