Icehouse

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here I am Carter!!   

Got a shot of Carter making his list.  We just gotta check it twice!  

50wpPH8.jpg

The rules state "factory fuel tank allowed as long as it's forward of the rear wheels and HAS NO LEAKS"  so we had to get the Mazda filler.  

1rJZ0r0.jpg

Our engine builders hard at work!!!!!!!!!!!

Building our "Stock" L18

6ZefyvW.jpg

The head is almost ready for Pruis Paul to send through his parts washer.   Thanks buddy!!!!!  

Dgr9uie.jpg

Hmm maybe valve guid issues??? :)

HLcvkQk.jpg

Had high hopes for this aluminum rad.  Guess we'll have to dig deeper into our parts stashes.  We are going to install a heater for defrost and to help keep her running cool.  Hopefully that and the winter weather will keep our engine happy.  

Mk5cIId.jpg

Muffler on it's way.  Requirement as well.  Must exit rear of the car too.  

jhKtn9z.jpg

• Like 1

Well I tried to get us a fuel tank today.....  Pulled the tank from my coupe (my buddy Rich built a in tank pump setup in another tank for me) turns out it's been pull due to rust and had some sort of coating added to fix the rust issue.  The coating is coming off along with the rust underneath it.  Yuck.  I have one more tank that needs to be pulled and swapped in another car.  Hopefully its good.  

Rub a dub dub L18 in the tub (or parts washer as it were)

Carter brought me the block, head and front cover for a good clean up.  It did'nt look too bad to start with, but it was time for some good old scrubbing.  We have an awesome labor saving parts washer at work for just this type of thing.

fvwhWVp.jpg

Forgot to take pics before cleaning, but it turned out pretty good!

PXoiGqp.jpg

No visible light under the straight edge here!  Nice to have a rare head that has not been warped.

oyaoQmz.jpg

I could see a little light between #3 and 4 cylinders.  My smallest feeler gauge would not fit at .002" so good to go here too. (non metric measurement just for Jeff)

H1s6WL6.jpg

Removed all the remaining gasket material and pressure washed the coolant passages as clean as possible. Blew out the oil passages and bolt holes so it should be ready to assemble.

Glad I could contribute to a fun project guys!

• Like 4

Jeff said we had to get over it and began to consult "How to Rebuild Your Nissan & Datsun OHC Engine by Tom Monroe" for correct procedures.

Now I think we finally know who *TOM is!  And of course we will be racing in Monroe.  Certainly this is a sign we are on the right (race) track. 

large.5a28264c07c2d_12052107turbotuesday

Which he promptly dismissed and had us start by assembling the block

large.5a28265621cf9_12052107turbotuesday

large.5a282657963ae_12052107turbotuesday

large.5a28265bc6dbb_12052107turbotuesday

large.5a28265eeb556_12052107turbotuesday

• Like 1

First off thanks Paul for cleaning the motor for us!!!!  

So on Sunday I asked Kevin (head of all the racing events) if we need a door beam (i beam bolted to the outside of our car) since our car is an X cirlce track car it has an intense cage.  He said we are clear to run without a door bar!  Which is awesome!

Here is what our door bars look like.  O wait there is more!  A plate also welded over the top off all those bars.  Don't want anything sneaking through.  

PgNwbTu.jpg

If you look close you can see the plate welded in.  

qZWvN8R.jpg

Since we are building a race engine.  Gotta have the right book! 

nlxhpOw.jpg

The guys almost got it back together, wow they are fast!  Glad to have them in the pits on race day :)  

aM7ZSJQ.jpg

until next week.  

• Like 3

Sam had an exhaust manifold but it was one of the poor flowing siamesed type.  I had a couple in the garage that just needed desmogged and freshening up.

large.5a2de517c01f1_12102017swampthing(0

I started out with 30 minutes in the sand blaster.

large.5a2de51ebb418_12102017swampthing(1

Then cut off the smog manifold

large.5a2de52299793_12102017swampthing(2

The fittings came out surprisingly easy and then I was able to knock the pick-up tubes back through the manifold and out the holes just opened up by removal of the air fittings.  Next step was to block the holes.  In the past, I have filled them with JB Weld and turned in a pipe plug to squeeze it all together.  Jeff said "why don't you just weld it?!"  Hmmm...  Now there's a thought.  I have still yet to weld anything but some scrap steel so this would be a good test.

large.5a2de5264d8b9_12102017swampthing(3

Here you can see the open port

large.5a2de52970f45_12102017swampthing(4

And now, filled with weld.  Just that easy!

large.5a2de52d66207_12102017swampthing(5

The next one gave me lots of trouble as the breaker kept tripping.  What the heck?!  Oh yeah, forgot to unplug the space heater.  Turns out a welder AND space heater on the same 15amp circuit is just a tad too much...  :blush:

Have a little filling to do around the 2nd hole but otherwise, it came out quite nice.

large.5a2de530d91b2_12102017swampthing(6

Followed by a little high temp header paint. 

large.5a2de5529e70b_12102017swampthing(1

• Like 3

Next up, de-smog those carbs to match!

Picked up this really nice oversize baking tray at Costco yesterday - just right for carb rebuilds.

large.5a2de53425029_12102017swampthing(7

There is a lot of stuff to get rid of on these.

large.5a2de541ea711_12102017swampthing(1

Does anyone make blanking plates for these?

large.5a2de5439e37a_12102017swampthing(1

Manfifold stripped of garbage and ready for a good cleaning.  Then I'll plug the smog ports in the top.

large.5a2de547a6a9d_12102017swampthing(1

I'll ask Z Therapy if they have something.  I need to get some little fuel lines from them anyway for the carbs to the nozzles.

large.5a2de54b487d1_12102017swampthing(1

large.5a2de54e6fca4_12102017swampthing(1

I'll tear these down and re-set them to baseline before they go back on the motor.  The throttle shafts feel okay.  Not new but not too much play - we should be okay.

• Like 3

Whats a racecar without a fast paint job?
Time allowing we'll be doing a quick bomb can job on the car. We thought it'd be fun to open up suggestions to ratsun community.

Have a paint scheme you've always wanted to see on a 510? Now's the time!
Add some color to this sketch so that we have an easy time comparing and post them up.
http://s.auto.drom.ru/1/comments/128/127822.jpg

Like so:

aqxP8Ho.jpg?1

• Like 3

I like the first coloring (the one in the background)

Whats a racecar without a fast paint job?
Time allowing we'll be doing a quick bomb can job on the car. We thought it'd be fun to open up suggestions to ratsun community.

Have a paint scheme you've always wanted to see on a 510? Now's the time!
Add some color to this sketch so that we have an easy time comparing and post them up.
http://s.auto.drom.ru/1/comments/128/127822.jpg

Like so:

aqxP8Ho.jpg?1

• Like 3

We finished assembling the engine tonight and got it in the car!

Jeff's psychedelic rising sun engine block topped with all kinds of pretty parts

large.5a30cbb5598b0_12122017turbotuesday

large.5a30cbb8c0cd5_12122017turbotuesday

bolting on the SSS spd!  (I believe it's the same as the normal 4spd but it's more fun to say SSS 4spd)

large.5a30cbbfb9815_12122017turbotuesday

First time in its new home!

large.5a30cbc3349f7_12122017turbotuesday

We actually crossed stuff off the list!  (and added more)

large.5a30cbc4a8e50_12122017turbotuesday

• Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Icehouse changed the title to "Swamp thing" JBC 510 racecar