Trying to turn my 79 620 into a 4wd

Trod8812

I have a 1979 620 and I was to turn it into a 4 wheel drive but the only information I was able to find was about king pins and this

Article.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/tech-qa/1601-nissan-and-datsun-4x4-pickup-spotters-guide/

Can anyone help me with what I would have to do to accomplish this? As far as I know datsun did not make a stock 4x4 620.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Find a 620 that was converted by Low Manufacturing.... it wasn't a bolt on conversion, but more like a weld on and there was some question on the quality of the work done. By now they are likely well worn out.

Find a 720 4x4 and put your body on it. The 720 is OK but because of the IFS is much limited in how high you can run. Same as the Chevy S-10.

Find an 'early '80s Toyota 4x4 with the leaf spring solid axle front end and put your 620 body on it.  Almost unlimited lift available....

I never completed mine. 720 2wd long wheelbase frame, 720 T-100 trans case, Toyota SAS. With 33" tires I had to make my own power steering for it. Not advisable. Swap your body onto something else.

WfUbXXp.jpg

• Like 1

Mine pretty much fit right on.

If you have a long wheelbase or KC it won't fit a short wheelbase 4x4.

All cabs even the KC, have the same bolt pattern.

A KC and a short wheelbase truck use the same box.

You can fit a KC and box onto a long wheelbase truck by moving the two front box mounts back about 9". (this is what I dd)

Very true but I found a guy who has a 720 4x4 for 600 bucks and I have a welder and all the tools to do the swap so I want all the information I can get to do the swap as fast as possible. If I ask a question it's to gain knowledge, not because that's going to be the first thing I am going to do.

• Like 1

720 speedometer cables have a different gauge end but same at the transmission so use the 620 cable. Fuel and temp gauges should work the same as the 620. I've used 720 gas tanks on a 620 no difference in readings. Everything else is 12 volt.

Are you planning to run the 720 engine and transmission?

I know this isn't the right forum to peddle my wares, or even to try and broaden the minds of would-be off-roaders, but if you are serious about this, give me a call or send me an email and I can walk you through all the ins and out, the pros and cons, and some potential pitfalls to avoid.

One of the common myths of installing a solid front axle is that you lose driveability. That's not true in the least. With the right combination of parts and a good base of knowledge, a solid axle 4x4 can be a very safe and capable daily driver. My self imposed rules here at my shop start with "safety first", and then my "10 year rule" followed by my "valet test". Pass all three of these criteria and you will not be disappointed.

Will you have constant maintenance as some have suggested? Depends on how you build it in the first place and how you drive.

Is it so expensive that you should have gone out and bought a new used 4x4? No way.

• Like 1