Is there an oil pressure sensor switch that fits?

610StaWag

I own a 1973 Datsun 610 station wagon (that was actually made in late 1972). Please see the photo below. All three sensors have almost the same dimensions (miniscule difference) but only the original sensor, that is now defective, actually fits into the threaded hole of the engine block. Does anyone know of a place to get a sensor that will fit into the engine block hole and if so, what the model number of that sensor is? 

I was told on two separate occasions that the replacement sensors I purchased would fit, but they don't. The original sensor barely fits; it is almost too big to go in the hole. 

37925043766_c2bd56e253_h.jpgOil sensor switch by Donald Broz, on Flickr

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

dTc1l18.jpg

You want 1/8 BSPT (British Standard Pipe Thread) to 1/8 NPTF adapter.  This will allow N American threaded sensors or oil pressure gauge fittings to work.

Nissan 'jumped into bed' with Austin or Great Britain in the mid '50s to assemble their cars in Japan from British parts. Within a year they were making their own parts and like the Japanese do so well, copying and making improvements. Is it any wonder that some MG parts ftr the J and A series engines? Anyway for some reason the threads in the block for the oil pressure senders were kept BSP and have been well up into the 2000's.

Just pull the sender from any non gauge Nissan engine, or go to the dealer.

Adapters are available off the shelf at O'Riley and other stores.  Usually shelved near the Oil pressure replacement meters.  Cheap and effective!  Ask me how I kept my original 50 year old Datsun RL411 running all these years!  You have to be inventive.

I have posted the part number of the adapter too many times to want to repeat it.  Use the search function, that's why it was implemented!

Edited by MikeRL411
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...