vent window rubber compatibility

Kenmataya

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been trying to reach the guy from Vintage Rubber. It seems he is not interested since he has not returned my calls. It seem it was the logical choice since they are located in Cali and it is advertised on their site they have the rubber for 520/521, but even when I mentioned mold cost sharing I haven't gotten an answer. I'm gonna try Scott Rubber from Australia and see about those guys in Thailand selling here on Ebay and I have a possible contact in Mexico. I did not want to explore China as I expected somebody local could be interested, but I understand molds are expensive and it would require two and 410/411's numbers of still running or being restored  are not so appealing from the business stand point. I will also contact the guys from Ebay Australia to see if they can stir me in the right direction.

Maybe someone else can talk Vintage Rubber into it as I was not succesful trying to: (714)882-0591 VintageRubber 11619 Inwood Dr. Riverside, CA 92503

Thanks.

Talked to the guy from Scott's Old Auto Auto Rubber it seems they lost their lease and do business on-line only at  scott@scottsoldautorubber.com.au

www.scottsoldautorubber.com.au 
    He told me there are several vehicle clubs interested in quarter vent seals and he is actually looking for some manufacturers for those, but because incompetence and/or business closures he is now dealing with some other manufacturers and this process will take about 1 or 2 years, so I guess will have to look into Thailand or Mexico even China to get this going.or wait to see what happens with Scott's.

• 4 weeks later...

I was in contact with a guy that owned a 320, he was very interested in getting a set of 320 wing window gaskets/seals, you see rubber seals are what he did, that was his business, he got a set and sent them to China, after a while I emailed him about the progress of the 320 wing window gaskets, he sent me a response, they were not interested in making them for him and that is what he did, he sold Chinese rubber gaskets in the US.

I would not expect any interest unless you could place an order for 5000 sets, then one might get some nibbles.

• 4 weeks later...

I went ahead and talked to some people in Thailand and Mexico. More or less the same thing. They want big production numbers so, unless we pony up the money for each mold: About 5 k each, they see it as a bad deal.

I was watching the other day “Wheeler Dealers” TV show and they use a California company  to 3D print some hard plastic small parts, wondering if it would be feasible to print soft ones and as big as window vents rubber pieces. 

The company name is Goengineer.com and I’m going to call them and see what they can do.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That could be an option but then again you need a set in good shape because filling digitally the gaps and missing sections from a rotten sample can add up to the cost.

There is also the option of using Flexane throwable rubber compound that could be used to fill up and smooth appearance of rotten sections.