$200 1979 210(b310) project car

head trauma johnny

IMG_20200112_120305_zps5flme9wz.jpgIMG_20200112_120329_zpszzs1g9tx.jpgRemoved the bumpers, trim and front/rear side lights. Started cutting out the cancer and making patch panels. Going to delete the side lights and trim. Need to source some non-US bumpers, can't stand the original ones. Also going to delete the sunroof. Trying to make it as light as possible. It already looks a lot better without the bumpers. Not sure if I'm going to roll the fenders or add extensions. Guess I need to get some rims soon. Thinking 14x6 with 0 offset. What do you guys think?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting ready to do my transmission swap. Removed the brake pedal assembly and prepping the clutch/brake assembly for install. Since I'm doing the 280zx strut swap now would be a good time to swap the master cylinder. Are 280zx masters direct bolt in if not what is everyone using? also I'm pretty sure the vacuum booster is shot. I finally received the clutch kit, slave, and master. The clutch hose I order is way too short. Does anybody know the stock length of the hose? Also does anybody know the bolt sizes for the flywheel and pressure plate? I know its a lot of questions. I appreciate any info. Just trying to prevent any road blocks before I get in too deep. Thanks.

The '79 through '81 zx will bolt in, the '82-'83 have a horizontal bolt pattern and will not.

Vacuum boosters rarely go bad. Make sure the hoses are snug and leak proof. The one-way valve can be sucked on to determine direction. If you can such air through it that is the intake side. You should not be able to suck air through the booster side of the valve. It's normal to hear a slight hiss sound when pumping the brake. To test operation of the vacuum booster, step on the pedal several times to remove any residual pressure. Step on the brake pedal and hold. Start the engine. Here's what you should see. The pedal will drop towards the floor about an inch as intake vacuum rises on the running engine. It's working normally.

The slave flex line is 260mm long. That's 10 1/4" in American measurement. Too long (within reason) os OK. I've used brake flex lines before.

The manual flywheel bolt part number (all I have) is 12315-H6200 same on all A14 / A15 and the A12 only used in the 210.The automatic ones are a different length.

You have a pilot bushing for the end of the crank? Have to have one to support the input shaft of the transmission.

You've removed the automatic flexplate spacer on the end of the crankshaft???

habrK3Y.jpg

I have not removed the auto trans yet. the clutch kit I bought came with a pilot bushing. From what I'm seeing there is a hard line that goes from the master to the slave flex hose??? if so, I guess I'm going to have to get it made. As far as the brake master cylinder, I can only find it without a reservoir. Does to 210 reservoir fit?  Thanks for all the info Datzenmike.

Use a piece of wire to go from the master to near the slave where the flex line will meet it. Or string or tape measure. Be generous.Get a length of pre-made brake line with the correct threads that is the same length or next size longer. I'm almost positive that a Datsun brake line will work on a master / slave fitting. Take the slave with you and make sure it screws in. You can make rounded bends by forming around a tapered baseball bat.

The round plastic reservoirs should all interchange. What I do is stand them up in hot water to warm and soften them, quickly dry and clamp them on. Have a care, no water must be allowed into the braking system hydraulics.

Just to confirm.... this is a pilot bushing that fits into the end of the crankshaft...

9F9rL0D.jpg

It's very soft and easily damaged, so place a block of wood over it when you hammer it in.

So got the automatic out this morning. Found out that my engine mounts are doing absolutely nothing. Also, the pilot bushing that came in the exedy clutch kit is the wrong size. But the biggest issue is the output yoke is different and I don't have one nor can I find one. Anybody have one? I'll put an ad up in the classified section. Looks like the automatic transmission mount will work if I flip it around like I read. Hope the yoke doesn't hold me up from finishing the swap. IMG_20200125_114507_zpsk9uyhwne.jpgIMG_20200125_114524_zpsesa7jvf0.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/18/2020 at 6:00 PM, head trauma johnny said:

Since I'm doing the 280zx strut swap now would be a good time to swap the master cylinder. Are 280zx masters direct bolt in if not what is everyone using?

If you are using the stock rear brakes, that master is too big, and the pedal will be very hard.

A '75-'78 280Z master works better with 280ZX fronts/drum rears.