$200 1979 210(b310) project car

head trauma johnny

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A14 no carb https://imgur.com/gallery/1jUHP

Well it took me about 1 1/2 hours to pull the carb and manifolds off this morning. I went to see if the headers would fit and no luck. First the intake and exhaust ports are slightly smaller than the head and the the tubes are 2" too long and would hit the crossmember. If I shorten them to fit in between the motormount and cross member I would still need to angle the collector out to miss the trans. So now I don't know if I should do the mods to the headers or get a new carb (with electric choke) to replace the worn out stock one. Or option 3 which I was going to do down the road after I got the car sorted is to fab up a draw through turbo setup. Leaning towards modding the headers to fit since I have them and air pod filters on the way. What are your opinions?

I'm going to use the stock exhaust manifold and the quad carb intake. Do I need to make a special plate to bolt to the gasket in the picture or just bolt it down? 

That doesn't really do anything but make the carb hot. You don't really need to do anything with it. 

Except throw it in the trash.   ^_^

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Was this a working setup? Do you know?

First I don't think they need a return line.... when i was working with motorcycles I never saw a return line....

( they may exist but I never saw them)

2nd what type of fuel pump... if a stock mechanical I would say no to the regulator but it may help.

Do you know what your fuel pressure Is and what those carbs want?

You could try gravity feeding the carbs.. if that works better then you have to much fuel pressure..

If it does the same thing I would say have a look at your float level and operation..

So the 2 that were leaking, I took them apart and cleaned them. I discovered that there was the wrong o-rings installed on the float needle housing and replaced them with better fitting and fuel rated ones. Re-installed the carbs and it ran good. Took it for my first test run. Now I need to start on the electrical issues. No turn signals,horn, heater lever won't budge. A lot more work ahead.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

So started working on the 210 again. I ditched the motorcycle carbs and replaced them with a Weber 32/36 I stole off my wifes VW bug project. It's running to rich so I ordered some smaller jets. I also picked up some 2000 Sentra seats and seat belts from the junk yard. The stock ones are crumbling to pieces. I fabricated the driverside bracket this morning to utilize the factory mounting holes. Got it installed along with the Sentra seat belt. it surprisingly fit with a little bit of trimming. Very pleased with the out come. Now time for the passenger side. Hope to have this finally on the road soon. Will update with any other progess. 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Going to be picking up some 280zx strut/brake assemblies today. I was wondering what rear spring and shock combo everyone was running? Was thinking of going with 150# springs in the front since it's going to be my daily. Also what are your thoughts on the stop tech brakes? They are about double the price of other brands. Thanks.

I drove a brown clone of your car in high school. Actually my first experience with a datsun. I didn't appreciate it way back when. Was a total slug with that automatic....had to keep pedal on floor to keep hamster wheel spinning. Sold car and buyer drove it to Mexico and then back to Oregon. Great seeing another $300 datsun evading the scrappers without scruples😀.they get crushed EVERY day.😣😢

• Like 1
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/31/2017 at 8:42 AM, Crashtd420 said:

Hell I never had a dizzy or carb till I got my datsun ....

These little cars don't have room for long words, hence the abbreviations. 🙂

When I put the Webber on I found I was way rich, not really from jetting but because it was too much carb for the manifold vacuum and I was on the power valve all the time.  Modification of the power valve solved the problem.  I still don't get the 39MPG I got with the Hitachi but it's about 35.

Edited by pdp8
  • 1 month later...

So finally getting some Time to work on the Datsun again. Since the last time I posted, I've picked up a 4 speed,clutch pedal setup, ordered a lightweight flywheel from Japan. I'm also about to order the exedy clutch kit, master cylinder,and slave. I re-jetted the Weber. Car runs good enough for now until the swap is done. Then I'm going to focus on engine and supension. Was looking for pistons but could only find high compression 79mm pistons for an A15. Can you bore the a14 cylinders 3mms? Do the a14 and a15 use the same block and connecting rods. hope to have another update with pics soon with the new trans in.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...