620 windshield replacement

carterb

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an appointment @ Apple auto glass in an hour. A tree branch cracked and demolished my windshield. They pulled the paperwork from when they put a new windshield for me. It was nine years ago, so it was $234 to install it. They did a great job getting the headliner tucked in. I supplied a new gasket for them. 

The gasket is still in great shape, I don't park in the sun and keep it clean. They quoted me $267 to install it now over the phone... but they want to look at it first. They said they could see that there were two colors of the tint band across the top... green and blue available. But until they actually place an order will we know if they really are still available. 

The Farmers claims guy wanted to work with Safelite, but I remembered from that last go-round that they were clowns. They only work on late model cars... as in we make too much easy money gluing windshields on mini-vqns, SUVs and luxury sedans to fuck with old cars. Then they tried to tell me that 620 windshield are expensive and have to be sourced from a classic car vendor... and other total BS. 

Farmers... wee seen a thing or two... yeah, fuck you.  Gotta go. 

No problem in replacing 620 windshield with the dash still in the truck.

That is what I wanted to hear!

Have done it twice, first to replace the rubber seal, and then from a truck kicking a rock up.

Would recommend a new, fresh seal. Much more pliable than an old one.

Use lots of soapy water, and plastic pry bars.

The seal is why I am doing it.  The old one is so hard and cracked that my cab fills with water any time it rains.  I've lived with that "feature" too long and don't want to empty a tube of caulk around the window to fix it.

And do on a summer day.

You're funny.   A heated garage will have to do.

--carter

The Farmers claims guy wanted to work with Safelite, but I remembered from that last go-round that they were clowns.

Safelite killed the leather dash on one of My Toyotas by cutting it with a knife when trying to cut a windshield out years ago.

And then stuck duct tape over the cut.....

They bought me a new dash for $1200, probably only because I seen the installer do it.

Yup, clowns.

Ok, so I'm back in under two hours and I had to drive across the river. $267. They had the glass already, were fifteen minutes behind. Fifteen minutes later they drove it into the shop, two guys knocked it right out. Totally workman like job to reuse the existing gasket, and tuck the headliner back in place... looks just like when they did it nine years ago. haha

Soo nice driving home in the rain!! It's great having a new windshield! The windshield wipers even work better!

So, for PDX guys I would recommend Apple Auto Glass on MLK.  I'm such a poor broke MF, it's hard to come up with a couple hundred bucks. I will spend all day fixing something I coulda bought new for ten bucks... 'cuz I don't have ten bucks. There are just some things I don't want to fuck with. If you have ther right tools, It's not that hard to install gasket type windows. I still don't want to do it. I didn't even watch them do it. I shoulda shot video of them doing it. Oh well, that's how much I don't care. So glad that there are good mechanics and craftsman still out there. Sometimes it's grim watching guys try to do stuff.

Next... Farmers.  I should record that conversation for quality assurance purposes... and cheap entertainment.

• 4 weeks later...