Parking Light / Dash Light Circuit Problem

Mitchell

Hello,

My 79 620 dashlight/front and rear parking/running side marker light circuit has a problem. I have a spare headlight switch which I swapped already and that wasn't the problem. Have a continuity tester. It is somewhere between the headlight switch output and the pigtail that exits under the passenger side of the seat. The turn signals, stoplights work at the pigtail but not the running lights. I removed the fuse feeding the headlight switch and ran a temporary 'backfeed' through the hood lamp switch to feed and test the circuit. All of the lights all work, dash instruments and knobs as well as all of the front and rear parking and side marker lights. Anyone have a clue where the disconnection I should be looking for may be...?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To be clearer, the Headlights work aok from the headlight switch but not the running / dash lights / knobs. The fuse I removed for the backfeed test is feeding the tail light / parking light / dash lights and not the headlight fuse....

The headlamps and the dash/running lights are two separate things with separate fuses.

The lighting switch has two positions. The first turns on the running/dash lights. The second holds the running/dash lights on and also turns on the headlamps.

Power to the lighting switch for the dash/parking lamps is the Green/Blue wire on the fuse box. I believe the top right fuse, closest the steering wheel. Shove a quarter across the fuse clips with the parking lights on. If they light, the fuse is bad.

If you can get the front, rear and the dash lights to work together then the wiring is ok and the lighting switch must be the problem.

Yes, replaced the fuse, already. Was able to use a test light on the output from the switch by removing the fuse I could determine which wires coming out of the switch are for the running lights. The 4 output wires from the switch are all lighting the continuity tester.

Under the passenger seat at the 10 pin plastic connector it's the Green/Blue wire that works the rear marker/running/license lamps.

If nothing there, follow this wire harness along the floor and up towards the right side kick panel. Likely the harness has been crushed or damaged.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Mike, Conclusion of all this, is that it ended up being the headlight switch after all, even though it appeared to be working when tested with a continuity light. While the circuit was 'backfed' there was juice up to switch, so the wiring was ok. 

Thanks for your reply.