280z abandoned in the desert...build

DatsWeird

Ratsun! Finally back after a long period of transitioning into a new career and location. Been working diligently a 280z found all over a 70 year old small town junkyard. Last six months are condensed in a short build thread to catch up to where she's at. Born on 10/1977.. Reborn 10/2017.. On a budget. Sorry 280zx for cannibalizing; you will live again, eventually.. ly.. ly.. ly..

The day she came home, zx lost its wheels and tires

WdZthoU.jpg

Did manage to score some vintage slotted mags

NHTYKQi.jpg

Dirty but no rust to be found.. more pics on other postings

dz73nuD.jpg

vAlG8ad.jpg

First things first, must have moar rising sun

u0CyhQQ.jpg

Now I need an engine to fill the hole

mM8wTJz.jpg

Somebody torched the trans tunnel mounts so fabbed a new one from old bumper supports off a 40 plymouth. No welder so had to bolt it in for now, has a plate on each side of the tunnel, most of the old support was there, just the ears removed 

UjiJA2R.jpg

Head gasket repair.. again. Used ishi stone gaskets, and copper coat to help distribute heat. Blew in same spot as prior(between 3&4 cyl)

T2Cp0hK.jpg

F32xQK6.jpg

Added arp head studs for hopefully better sealing.. head was decked but block was not. Torqued to 65 ft/lbs turbo spec

p1WNdlD.jpg

Back together with fresh su's, and a points distributor so I'll still have spark after the EMP's hit and the zombies come. Fuel lines are temporary

Ch1aHnU.jpg
Accelerator bellcrank was missing; Found out if you turn the zx one upside down and make a bracket off the original holes, it works. Pull instead of push

3izdOL4.jpg

ZX radiator fit with just a few new holes drilled and top hose cut about 2 inches shorter to outlet

YhwkOda.jpg

Alrighty, onto interior. after removing pounds of sand, buying some cheap material off ebay,and lots of vinyl spray paint, I give you this

O8WLqs6.jpg

Zb0n8SM.jpg

KIsctuT.jpg

ZX donated another part. Used plasti dip on that one so I can eventually give it back.. maybe

4FfLsB0.jpg

Couldn't afford new covers so I stitch some material to the lumpy carcass of a seat I had. Not perfect but works for now. Took about 15 hours a seat to hand stitch and sterilize the old ones

RXloqR8.jpg

First interior I've done, not as hard as I thought, stitched it into the piping of the old upholstery underneath. Cost about 50 in materials for the entire car. 

kbVYbOQ.jpg

On to the bodywork

72FY8cY.jpg

And that's where she is. Getting close to starting for the first time but still have some wiring to do underhood. I'll post in the proper section for those, first build thread so any help/advice is much appreciated. Cheers 

• Like 2
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...