78 620, L20B foreign matter in combustion chamber.

Atikin9000

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I should of noticed this earlier but while I was cleaning the head studs I discovered this guy, I’m leaning towards not reusing this, any suggestion on replacing?

APR studs are about $130, just seeing

Good that you caught that....

If you decide on arp studs they list them under nissan l20b.. not datsun....

If you get in a jam and cant get replacement bolts locally, I should have a complete set of used head studs in my garage.... I'll send them to you for the cost of shipping ... I used arp studs on my engine so there really is no reason for me to keep them... I'm going to work on my datsun soon this morning send me a pm if interested and I'll get them out clean them off and send you some pics....

It's reusable as the good threads are the bottom ones that were in the block. After all it was holding that way for years. Looks like corrosion. No harm in replacing them though.

The machine process for punching washers makes them that shape. Flat side down, you can see the machining imprint from the head transferred to the bottom of the washer.

As long as the holes in the front line up with the holes in the timing cover you should be good.

When I make a head gasket for my LZ23 engines I cut that part off the L block head gasket and put it on the L block timing cover, I then ad a little gasket maker where the two gaskets touch each other on both sides.

Looks like an H 233 lsd. In the WD21 they only came in 4.375 and 4.625. Look on the pass side inner fender below the hood hinge for the engine tag. Bottom line far right HF37 for a 3.70 or HF39 for a 3.90 ratio... maybe even HF43 or HF46

I have one from a WD21 Pathfinder and it's way too wide.

Well the vacuum advance does look like it's turned awkwardly into the valve cover..... but at the end of the day all you want is the timing to be easily adjustable to 12 degrees. Position of the distributor, rotor or the wires are really secondary.

If you want to check what it was set to at the factory and maybe adjust it so yours is the same generally as everyone else you can...

Set the crank to TDC on the compression stroke... looks like already there.

Remove the two 10mm? bolts holding the distributor base to the timing cover. Don't worry the timing is set and the distributor will only fit in the one position.

With the distributor out look down the hole and you should see this...

8Gj0vYy.jpg

Note the large and small half moon on either side of that 'screw driver blade' on the oil pump/distributor drive spindle. If the drive spindle is oriented like this you are good to go. 

If it isn't at that 11:28 position moving it there might move the vacuum advance to a slightly better position but that's about all it will do. It will run exactly the same.

Let's check this first, and go from there.

Well the vacuum advance does look like it's turned awkwardly into the valve cover..... but at the end of the day all you want is the timing to be easily adjustable to 12 degrees. Position of the distributor, rotor or the wires are really secondary.

If you want to check what it was set to at the factory and maybe adjust it so yours is the same generally as everyone else you can...

Set the crank to TDC on the compression stroke... looks like already there.

Remove the two 10mm? bolts holding the distributor base to the timing cover. Don't worry the timing is set and the distributor will only fit in the one position.

With the distributor out look down the hole and you should see this...

8Gj0vYy.jpg

Note the large and small half moon on either side of that 'screw driver blade' on the oil pump/distributor drive spindle. If the drive spindle is oriented like this you are good to go.

If it isn't at that 11:28 position moving it there might move the vacuum advance to a slightly better position but that's about all it will do. It will run exactly the same.

Let's check this first, and go from there.

I’ll pop it off and check.

Is rotor pointing at #1 cylinder at tdc?

According to the book it’s pointing to #2

It doesn't matter where the rotor is pointed as long as it is pointing directly at a plug wire post on the cap and you have some adjustment room to time it, that post will be number one spark plug wire, and the firing order is 1, 3, 4, 2 counter clockwise.

Normally #1 is at 3:30ish standing on the drivers side looking at the distributor rotor, yours appears to be close to that, it has to point directly at a post on the cap and still have enough adjustment to time the engine properly.

The engine has to be at TDC, if it is not at TDC you are just guessing and that will catch up with you sooner or later. likely sooner.

• Like 1