....the beginning to the end?!

720Girl

So, after months of learning the ins and outs of my 81 days in 720, and after close to $1,000 spent on parts and replacements, I have hit yet another bump in the road. I now have this weird thing going on with my baby. I get in the truck, starts up fine. Once, the truck warms up to just about half way (in neutral) she slowly kills out. It won't stay idling unless I have the clutch pressed in a bit. If I'm driving and the truck is already warmed up, I have to constantly have the clutch pressed in slightly just to keep her running. Could my tranny be going tits up on me after all that time, money and effort I put into it?! What's going on?! Could something be stuck??

• Like 1
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Could my tranny be going tits up on me after all that time, money and effort I put into it?! What's going on?! Could something be stuck??

That tits up statement is great....

Do you have a manual or electric choke?

If it's electric take the aircleaner off and take a look.... as it warms up the choke butterflies should be opening..

Highly doubt it's a transmission problem from what you have said...

• Like 1

If you are driving down the road the clutch should be fully engaged with the pedal in the fully up position. To be clear...

Clutch pedal down, the clutch is disengaged. The engine is not connected to the rest of the drive train.

Clutch pedal up (foot off it) the clutch is engaged and the engine is connected to the transmission.

I know YOU know what you mean but I'm just old and not following....

While waiting for further information. Next time it quits, immediately turn the ignition off, lift the air filter off and look at the round glass, gas level gauge on the front of the carb... is the gas showing in the little window?

• Like 1

29 years with an 82 and I am stumped with the symtoms. If you start it neutral and it slowly dies you are looking at a fuel issue. Not sure how pushing in the clutch keeps it running but continuing to drive like this you will have a compounded problem. The quickest and cheapest solution to fuel issues is a fresh fuel filter. Usually less than 5 bucks and very easy to change, when plugged or partially plugged it creates issues that makes you pull out your hair trying to figure out. It is routine maintainence and if wasn't in your first $1,000 needs to be replaced anyways. Buy two and throw the spare in the glovebox.

• Like 2

If you are driving down the road the clutch should be fully engaged with the pedal in the fully up position. To be clear...

Clutch pedal down, the clutch is disengaged. The engine is not connected to the rest of the drive train.

Clutch pedal up (foot off it) the clutch is engaged and the engine is connected to the transmission.

I know YOU know what you mean but I'm just old and not following....

While waiting for further information. Next time it quits, immediately turn the ignition off, lift the air filter off and look at the round glass, gas level gauge on the front of the carb... is the gas showing in the little window?

Yes, the sight glass is showing about half full of gas.

• Like 1

I guess to make things more clear, I have to have the clutch pushed slightly towards the floor, and I'm emphasizing on the slightly part. Like barely pushed in at all just to keep the beast growling so to speak. But while doing this in any gears besides 4th I hear an on again, off again grinding sound coming from the transmission.

• Like 1

I first would take the airfilter housing off and then start it for the first time of that day and watch the choke, once it warms up and starts to stall is the choke open?

If it is not open before it dies force it open with a screwdriver and see if that fixes it/keeps it from dying.

When you push the clutch in while driving it does it have any power to keep the truck going down the road or do you have to keep pushing the gas pedal farther down to keep the truck moving until you are floored and then it starts slowing down.

Also look under the dash at the clutch pedal, it there a switch that pushing the pedal a little activates?

• Like 1

I guess to make things more clear, I have to have the clutch pushed slightly towards the floor, and I'm emphasizing on the slightly part. Like barely pushed in at all just to keep the beast growling so to speak. But while doing this in any gears besides 4th I hear an on again, off again grinding sound coming from the transmission.

Do what wayno described....

And what you doing with the transmission is slipping the clutch, most likely the sound is the throwout bearing spinning because your holding a slight bit of pressure....

Your engine will act different under load versus just reving the engine in neutral... by slipping the clutch your kind of lessening the load on the engine.

I would try not to do that to much unless you have to... you can end up burning up the clutch plate. Then you'll have another problem...

• Like 1

I first would take the airfilter housing off and then start it for the first time of that day and watch the choke, once it warms up and starts to stall is the choke open?

If it is not open before it dies force it open with a screwdriver and see if that fixes it/keeps it from dying.

When you push the clutch in while driving it does it have any power to keep the truck going down the road or do you have to keep pushing the gas pedal farther down to keep the truck moving until you are floored and then it starts slowing down.

Also look under the dash at the clutch pedal, it there a switch that pushing the pedal a little activates?

I will check tomorrow on the possibility of a switch being by/under/around the clutch pedal. As far as the choke on the carb, it opens just fine and is open about halfway by the time the engine dies down.
  • Like 1

It stays moving forward I believe.
  • Like 1

If this is strictly limited to noise in all gears but 4th while under engine load then yes the counter bearing is not good. Only thing you can do for the transmission is check the oil level. If low this may quiet it down. This is not a fix. GL-4 80w90 oil.

If this does not remove the noise stop driving it or it will fail and leave you stranded.

• Like 1