Home Built by Jeff

Home Built Z 'Full video build'

This week's adventure was finishing up the booth lighting. I then moved on to rust treating the whole car and painting the epoxy primer.

• Like 3

This week I planned on painting the epoxy on the inside of all the panels, but I ended up getting side tracked by more panel beating and trying to fit a really dodgy wing.

• Like 1

Keep up the fantastic build. My welding skills are not on par with yours, but you have inspired me to get after some of the stuff in my 510. I just spent the last 4 hours cutting rust out. The engine bay should be gorgeous when I get done (at least in my eyes)

• Like 1

Keep up the fantastic build. My welding skills are not on par with yours, but you have inspired me to get after some of the stuff in my 510. I just spent the last 4 hours cutting rust out. The engine bay should be gorgeous when I get done (at least in my eyes)

My welding is all self taught. It is just practice. Watch a few youtube videos for some tips and then just give it a go. It is time consuming, but it is satisfying when it's done.

• Like 2

Hi Jeff. I have the tin can effect on the roof of my 620 and was wondering if you ever had any free time to do a quick 5 min video just explaining what it is you actually do with the hammer, dolly and heat. To the uneducated you just hit it until it works!

240z is looking great. Loving the progress.

Also good news on the Porsche engine, sounds like it won't be long.

Hi Jeff. I have the tin can effect on the roof of my 620 and was wondering if you ever had any free time to do a quick 5 min video just explaining what it is you actually do with the hammer, dolly and heat. To the uneducated you just hit it until it works!

240z is looking great. Loving the progress.

Also good news on the Porsche engine, sounds like it won't be long.

Have a look at this vid from here https://youtu.be/8A6NoBElz44?t=11m3s

I cover it in a bit of detail, but basically, when you heat an area the metal quite noticeably bubbles up. While it is hot, basically you hit towards the centre of the bubbled area to try to knock the panel back flat. Once it is cooled off again, it pulls tight and the panel should have shrunk back and the popping oil can effect should have gone.  

I have seen you heat up the metal with a propane bottle and cool it down with air. Do you suggest doing it?

• Like 1

Thanks, that's helpful I'll give it a go!

• Like 1

I have seen you heat up the metal with a propane bottle and cool it down with air. Do you suggest doing it?

You can cool it down with a damp cloth, but I don't like that as much with bare metal as I am trying to reduce rust.

I finally threw in the towel and I bought a new repro bonnet for my Z. It took a lot of time, but I finally have it all fitting up the way I wanted.

• Like 2

This week I get stuck in to do the final alignment of all the panels and start the body filler. It is a slow process, but if I want it done right I need to take my time and keep plugging away at it.

• Like 3

Glad to see you have a thread going here! I've been subscribed to your videos since the first one you did on the Zed. And realy enjoying the Beetle videos as well.  :thumbup:

• Like 1

This week I learned a lot more about engine rebuilding and I lapped the valves. I then needed to work out my engines compression which meant CC'ing the combustion chambers.

• Like 1

This week I have got myself some extra valves to replace the dodgy ones I had previously, so I get them lapped to fit and then move on to more body work.

• Like 1