mainer311

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

37 minutes ago, thisismatt said:

FB marketplace is all baby mamas selling stolen tools.

Around where I live, that’s completely true. People were literally selling things like bootleg Tide laundry detergent.

They caught a couple dudes recently who stole thousands in “small business” covid relief, and were laundering money via iPhone 12’s.

Edited by mainer311
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Crashtd420 said:

Proper parking job....

Datsuns inside.....

Cleanup was fun today..... atleast it got me the day off...

Yep, with wifey’s car. Beater and Xterra don’t get that luxury.

Shoveled and snow blowed for 2 hours. I’m only 35, but my back can’t take this anymore.

Edited by mainer311
  • Like 3
38 minutes ago, mainer311 said:

Yep, with wifey’s car. Beater and Xterra don’t get that luxury.

Shoveled and snow blowed for 2 hours. I’m only 35, but my back can’t take this anymore.

That's why I bough that plow.... I've got 10 years on you, it doesn't get easier. 

I even struggled with the plow alittle, I think they said we got 18 inches in leominster, should have done a cleanup before bed last night.... 

We always seem to get that one person near my house who likes to park on the road during snow and during a parking ban, ..... they never tow but the plows have to drive around so it narrows our road...

I overheard him saying his car got hit and hes blaming the plows... also a white car...  he thinks hes going to get a payday from the town.... goodluck....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Lift is always ok the more the better as long as there are no clearance problems. Door open farther lets in more. Spring must be stiff enough to force the rocker to stay on the lobe and not ski jump. (float) 280 is getting up there and at the limit of 'stacking' the compressed spring.

On a reground stock cam I think increasing the duration also increases the overlap, the time where both valves are open at the same time. Increased overlap favors high RPM running but not low speed, specially idle where intake vacuum is lowered because of the open exhaust. Idle and low speed response are poorer with more overlap. A benefit of high overlap is weak cylinder filling when starting a high compression engine. The starter doesn't have to work as hard as it would with a stock cam.  

At low speed the engine has no trouble filling the cylinder and doubling the RPM doubles the hp. As it revs to a peak, the time for air to get in and out is shortened and power drops off. Increasing the duration allows you to continue filling the cylinder longer at higher RPMs and continue to the double the RPM, double the HP and the power peak rises higher and higher but at the expense of the lower speeds. This where variable valve timing on new cars allows great low speed torque but incredible power when revved up. It all depends on what you can live with. Carried to an extreme a race cam sees little driving below 6,000 RPMs and would be terrible on the street. I can't say what you would prefer.  

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, mainer311 said:

What do you guys think of a cam that has .450 lift and 280 duration?

I think that's close to what I'm running...

I think it's a 270/280 duration and I think it had the same lift...

Couldnt find the actual specs online but I have them at home.....

I like the cam but dont really have a comparison.... the spec rpm range was 2500 to 6000..... good for street...

Are you wondering if its enough?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Crashtd420 said:

Are you wondering if its enough?

Well, I already have the cam. I'm just trying to get an opinion on whether I'm going to hate it or not. It's a reground stock Nissan casting, which I've heard is very durable.

It came with this W58 head that I've been building . The intake ports were opened up to 1.50" and ported all the way down to the seats. It also had the exhaust liners removed. It would seem to me that someone was building this up to be a race head of sorts. I'm just hoping that it's drivability around town isn't horrible.

I think that the manifold that Pierce sells for the DCOE 40's is about 1.50" on the head side, so I would assume it would be a good match. Looking at the charts, I'm most likely going to run 36mm venturis, which is at the 40's high limit. I don't really plan on going beyond that. 45's would technically be better, but I already have these gorgeous 40mm stacks. 

I actually reached out to Pierce recently and their K667 kit comes with really crap jetting/venturis. I don't know how much they'd cater to what I want.

Edited by mainer311
  • Like 1

I think you'll like it, especially for the street.... I'll check my cam sheet when I get home to make sure its similar to what I'm running..... I like the rpm range of my cam...

I had thought about a bigger cam but it seems the rpm range increases as you do... so I think the low end would suffer....

It's going to be night and day different for you either way going from a stock L16 to a cammed L20B.... I'd run it....

• Like 1
4 hours ago, mainer311 said:

Well, I already have the cam. I'm just trying to get an opinion on whether I'm going to hate it or not. It's a reground stock Nissan casting, which I've heard is very durable.

It came with this W58 head that I've been building . The intake ports were opened up to 1.50" and ported all the way down to the seats. It also had the exhaust liners removed. It would seem to me that someone was building this up to be a race head of sorts. I'm just hoping that it's drivability around town isn't horrible.

I think that the manifold that Pierce sells for the DCOE 40's is about 1.50" on the head side, so I would assume it would be a good match. Looking at the charts, I'm most likely going to run 36mm venturis, which is at the 40's high limit. I don't really plan on going beyond that. 45's would technically be better, but I already have these gorgeous 40mm stacks. 

I actually reached out to Pierce recently and their K667 kit comes with really crap jetting/venturis. I don't know how much they'd cater to what I want.

Look at it this way, you have it, run it. If you don't like it, like REALLY don't like it, throw the L16 cam in till you can find an L20B cam or an L20B cam if you have one. Cams are easy to change.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, d.p said:

Dang look at the pristine work area. I try to keep mine clean but after 5 minutes it’s a complete mess. Or are you cleaning up before you take the pics??? B

You'll notice all the gun shit in the background. This is my reloading bench in the basement, so it stays clean.

• Like 2