mainer311

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, mainer311 said:

Yes it is. Also keeps me skinny because I work on this stuff instead of eating lunch.

In the early days of my old shop I use to be able to .... I got a lot of sand blasting done on my lunch breaks and before work..... my new shop doesn't quite have the variety of machines... 

• Like 1

These showed up tonight. They should look nice on the carbs I don’t have. Full radius, CNC billet. Immediately took 12,000 grit and mag polish to them. Based on looks and ricer-math, I figure they’re good for about 5,000 horse.

b2VS5gd.jpg

Edited by mainer311
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1
1 hour ago, d.p said:

Where did you get them from?  I got a set from John (Ray's buddy) which look nice but not polished like yours.  

They’re 40’s that a guy was running on a set of Mikuni’s out in CA. He had them on a roadster. I’ll be running these on a set of 40 DCOE’s, with 36mm venturis. I’m just going to buy the kit from Pierce Manifolds. K667 I think.

• Like 1

Tonight I started fitting all of these new stainless valves since the guides are new and likely not completely concentric with the seats. The exhaust seats have minor pitting so I’m lapping them out. These new 43mm intake valves fit okay, but a quick check shows the seat is biased to the inside, which makes sense. I’ll be picking up a Neway 45 degree carbide cutter to slightly open them up. It comes with an 8mm mandrel for aligning to the guide.

LKjZIsK.jpg

• Like 4

Been waiting for my valve seat cutter to show up, so in the meantime I figured I would work on some cosmetic stuff. I cut off and blended the two cast protrusions on the valve cover. I still have some sanding to do, but think it came out alright. Off to powder coat soon. Most likely picking up a front cam cover from MD_machine and having it coated to match.

Na9t1Jq.jpg

Edited by mainer311
  • Like 3
On 12/24/2020 at 1:14 PM, mainer311 said:

Were they overnighted during JDM wars?

They came directly from Japan on an '80 720, '79 and '78 620, and there's one on my '76 710. There may be a couple others but I don't remember what I got them off of.

2 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

They came directly from Japan on an '80 720, '79 and '78 620, and there's one on my '76 710. There may be a couple others but I don't remember what I got them off of.

Mike, my question was a reference to the original Fast and Furious movie.

Edited by mainer311

Valve seat cutter showed up today. It’s a combo 30/45. So far so good! It just barely fits the exhaust valve areas, so I’m adding a slight 30 to those, since they basically don’t have one currently.

utjj8uk.jpg

3vtABG1.jpg

Edited by mainer311
  • Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, mainer311 said:

Seats are cut and lapped. Everything going to the machine shop next week for boring/decking.

ozHRxJR.jpg

I have never noticed/seen those notches where the plug tip would be on 1 & 4.  Is that common on the L heads or is just a certain casting?  And what is it for?

Looks good tho.  So clean.

• Like 2