Just bought a 521

mainer311

9 minutes ago, thisismatt said:

Brake shoe grinder...

s-l400.jpg

At last, some common sense !  Used to be standard in every shop that did brakes. Shoes were arched to fit the radius of the reground brake drum.

Edited by MikeRL411
aded reason for device.
  • Like 2
  • Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, mainer311 said:

That's what I tried doing last night...not a good idea.

I agree.... I thought the same thing on my wifes car since it was just the ebrake inside the rotor but after a ride around the block the rear disk was 200 degrees and the front only 100....

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, greenthumb said:

Maybe so, but it has to be satisfying. It looks great! 

Is this the kit from the guy in Idaho or wherever?

Utah, yes. 

He even included one of those rubber heel pads, but I’m going to glue that to the left wheel well and use it as a dead pedal. I’ll be running rubber floor mats on top of the carpet anyhow.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, mainer311 said:

Got a little bit of the carpet done. I’ve attempted a lot of things in life and installing carpet won’t be something that I do again. It looks pretty good, but it’s a messy, smelly pain in the A.

5BOzmzr.jpg

super jealous of how good that interiors comin together. 

• Like 2

Seen that kit the other day on eBay. Comptemplating getting one myself. Did you use spray adhesive to secure it? I believe it said it can also use the factory snaps. I seen that in the eBay description. 
Are you happy with the kit Mainer? If time allows would you be able to post up a few more pics of the kit? Thanks. 
-Pidge

• Like 2
37 minutes ago, pidge said:

Seen that kit the other day on eBay. Comptemplating getting one myself. Did you use spray adhesive to secure it? I believe it said it can also use the factory snaps. I seen that in the eBay description. 
Are you happy with the kit Mainer? If time allows would you be able to post up a few more pics of the kit? Thanks. 
-Pidge

It's not the same kit, but I have heard that the ebay kit is fairly decent as well. I have no firsthand experience with it.

This kit is custom made by a guy out in Utah who does hotrod kits and other stuff. He cuts all the pieces to shape, marks the back for where certain features need to be cut, and then has the edges bound. The fit is really good. I think DP also installed this kit. 

The glue used is Weldwood contact adhesive found in quart containers at Home Depot. You brush it onto both halves, let it flash off, then stick the two pieces together. The two pieces instantly stick. There isn't much room for error. I fold the pieces back and only apply about 6" of cement, and then start the piece that way. Once it's stuck, I fold it back in the other direction and slowly work my way to gluing to the whole piece.

I'll take some pictures of the other uninstalled pieces tonight.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
38 minutes ago, pidge said:

That looks really good. I’m liking the green pinstripe on the mats. Complements the door cards nicely. What kit are you guys using? The eBay one also says Utah as well. 
-Pidge

Maybe it’s the same guy? 

shouldabeenhotrods@gmail.com

• Like 1

@pidge Here are some of the pieces that I haven’t installed yet. Basically the entire passenger side. He cuts the front pieces very long so that almost the entire firewall area ends up covered in carpet. I actually trimmed the driver-side down a little to make it easier to install, and plan to do the same on the passenger side. Having carpet above the package shelf area doesn’t make much sense to me.

6kUSzRn.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Mainer, got ahold of buddy yesterday. Gonna hold off for now. To get pretty much the exact same setup as yours it’ll run me just shy of $800 CDN. Little to much right now for me. I thank you for your input and help. 
-Pidge  

• Like 2