Just bought a 521

mainer311

1 hour ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

If if one bores a 85mm too much I would find a Nissan Compitition gasket like a 87mm if still avail. or can find one. I heard Nissan ran out of those years ago unless somebody has one on Ebay. I THINK I SEEN 88MM VERSION OUT THERE ALSO

There's a few here. 88.5mm

https://www.ebay.com/itm/11044-A7651-Cylinder-Head-Gasket-Nismo-OEM-For-Datsun-510-610-710-521-620-720-L/182211259235?hash=item2a6ca32b63:g:7HEAAOSw-FZXjqmG

Edited by mainer311
  • Like 1
  • Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I understand that, when someone has been hosting a show like Pat has for a very long time, if anyone else hosts it they will seem awkward until you get used to them or in other words it don't seem right, but some people are not meant to be hosts of a game show, it's kinda an art, you need to be born to it.

• Like 1

While everything is apart, I decided to have a look at my thermostat housing, since it was leaking. Turns out the mating flange was pitted to hell. Luckily, the casting is relatively square, and I was able to machine off both surfaces today. Only took about 0.010” or so to get them both nice again.

IrVhZnq.jpg

Edited by mainer311
  • Like 2

Based on this picture, what do you guys think about my seats? I removed cylinder #1 valves real quick to have a look. I’m still working on the porting, and just received a set of valve stem seals. (Any tips on those would be great too.) Keep in mind that I wasn’t running out of valve lash adjustment. 

hXuS9Qa.jpg

• Like 2

Intake looks ok but lap it lightly, the exhaust needs more work.

Blend the seat (here it's bronze and easy to see) into the port wall. L heads are good but sometimes the port is cut and the seat doesn't match and there is a lip or a ledge with a burr. I used sanding rolls on an electric drill.... carefully.

TlzZXPg.jpg

Tear a 1/4" strip of 80 grit emery cloth and with the valve out push through the port and holding both ends tight see saw it back and forth, careful not to abrade the valve seat face. Pulled tight it is the shortest direct path through the port and it will grind away and smooth any hump on the near radius.

Some valve grinding compound and an electric drill makes short work of lapping the valves...

H9apV8F.jpg

While the valve is out, chuck it in a drill and hold against some emery cloth to round the sharp edge off the valve. Again do NOT touch the face itself. This one has already been lapped with compound. I also did the port side to remove any deposits and  smooth away any edge. The smoothing and rounding is like velocity stacks on side drafts.

qvLRyEJ.jpg

Like I said in another post each of these by itself has little effect but they all add up.

• Like 2

I got valve lappers and compound today too. Plan was to take a dremel with a sanding drum and clean up as much as I can around the guides, lap the crud off of the seats, and leave a lot of the chamber surfaces alone. Basically just want to get everything like new again. Not super concerned with blending and performance. None of my valves look sunk, so I may just clean it up and run it.

Someone on here said that oven cleaner works awesome for getting the carbon off, so I may try that overnight.

Edited by mainer311
  • Like 2

Made some good progress. I cleaned the crud off all of the valvetrain parts, lapped all of the pitting out of the exhaust valves/seats, and polished the intake seats. Last night I installed new stem seals and reassembled all of the valves.

D4uxpQo.jpg

HKpCA47.jpg

• Like 1

Head is back on. Installed the rockers and cam towers first. Spun the cam to make sure it was okay, then installed the head gasket. Plopped head on and torqued to the 60ft-lbs in the ARP instructions. Luckily all of the timing lined back up.

R11TNfN.jpg

Also, a guy I know from the Xterra community is building one insane 620 right now. Kind of along the same lines as Bigtanks 521. Check out an Instagram page by user “iknowblueberry”.

Edited by mainer311
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

I notice the motor is not set to TDC? going by the spindal position and the head. Unless you have it set to that spot as when you removed it.

Marked the chain and sprocket, then rotated the cam around to line up with the pin hole on the sprocket when I put it back on. I didn't bother with the TDC crap. As long as it goes together exactly how it came apart, then it should be fine. Funny though, when I took the whole thing apart, the pin was in the #2 hole. I thought on L16's it was supposed to be in the #1 hole? The truck has always run pretty good, so I just left it that way.

1 hour ago, d.p said:

Lol I tied my exhaust manifold back around the fender with a ratchet strap when I did my head.   That was before I replaced all the studs on the downpipe and flange which was a total bitch to do.  

I did that last winter. One of the studs was so rotted, it was almost half it's original diameter. Luckily I don't have to deal with that crap this time around.

Check for proper cam timing, carefully setting the correct TDC by turning engine only clockwise to it. If you overshoot back well up and try again. This will tension the tension (driver's) side of the chain and collect all the slack on the slack (passenger) side. Correct cam timing should look like this regardless of which hole the cam is is....

otMggUE.jpg

This is an L16/18 on the #1 hole but perfectly timed. If you are on the #2 hole and the notch in the back of the sprocket is just below or slightly to the right of the small line above it, (as shown above) it is also perfectly timed. Maybe the chain is slightly stretched or the head was milled down and it was corrected. The position of the notch to the line governs, even if you are on the #3 hole. If on the #3 hole and you can't get it right then the chain needs to be replaced.... I have never seen a stretched chain.