mainer311

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

47 minutes ago, d.p said:

My battery is huge. I would pay good money for a smaller one. Would any optima yellow top work?

Overkill, but yeah, any of them would work. Depends on whether or not you want to make a custom tie-down or not, etc. Red top has better CCA, but yellow top has higher capacity and reserve. (Both with significantly more CCA than what our trucks require.) AGM batteries tend to last longer and are less affected by the cold, neither of which I really care about, so I just went with a standard lead acid. Plus, my stock battery frame fit like a glove. (I brought it with me to test fit.)

Edited by mainer311
  • Like 1

Our old company van was parked and the boss slid into it on the ice last spring. It eventually was scrapped by insurance mid summer. Had a brand new battery too. I swapped it with my god knows how old one that has to be 7-10 years old. For $10 I got the battery side cables from a Pontiac van at the wreckers. They are the same length so one to the starter lug and the ground to the starter bolt. No more posts anymore. Look at the size of that cable!

olzimFi.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/18/2019 at 4:39 PM, banzai510(hainz) said:

Optimal got bought out and not the same. I had a retop and I killed it in like 2 years.I had a yellow top that came with my Jeep and it’s over 10 years old. But it’s the old version.i put the standard size in my 521 as I had a new hold down made for that size

I used to install Optima batteries in all of my builds, but now that Optima is junk, I use Odyssey batteries. Not cheap though at over $300 each.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...