Just bought a 521

mainer311

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Got my EI dizzy in. Still need to wire it. Figured out the clocking problem by using the original dizzy pedestal and plate. Cut off the large aluminum tab on the original pedestal, then cut a mounting slot in the plate 180 degrees from the timing slot. Now the matchbox is away from the exhaust, and the vacuum advance isn’t hitting anything. I eyeballed the timing mark around 12 BTDC, and the rotor is pointing almost exactly to one of the cap contacts. Love when stuff works out.

CvgWGhD.jpg

prmLkPx.jpg

• Like 2

It’s an M7x1 thread, WTF?

I looked at the Webers. Maybe someday. My Hitachi is in great shape and I just rebuilt it, so it stays for now.

If you ask me, it has been the easiest carb to tune out of my Datsuns. Balancing and tuning SU’s sucks.

• Like 1

It wouldn’t fit 180 off, I tried. The vac advance is too tight against the upper road hose. The part that I cut off is just the big aluminum tab with gradations on it. If I ever went back to points (why would I?) it’s completely reversible.

• Like 1

It’s an M7x1 thread, WTF?

I looked at the Webers. Maybe someday. My Hitachi is in great shape and I just rebuilt it, so it stays for now.

If you ask me, it has been the easiest carb to tune out of my Datsuns. Balancing and tuning SU’s sucks.

I guess what I mean is re-jetting and fine tuning. DGV jets are widely available, including pump nozzles, auxiliary venturis, idle jets, needle and seats, etc.

• Like 1

Tonight I got my JAF badge installed, and test fitted my 3D printed lower-profile center cap. Will be color matched to the truck and inlaid with paint on the “D” symbol. Also test fit my new lug nuts. Went with black to offset some of that shiny wheel.

TYZR63h.jpg

MntGVt5.jpg

• Like 3

There's a flange on the back of the cap that nests into a chamfer on the back side of the center bore. I eyeballed it, modeled it, and it was a perfect fit. They still stick out a little farther than I would like, so I'm going to make some adjustments and then print a whole set.

• Like 1

Before our company split, we had a couple Objet machines too. One of them had dual materials that could be blended into different durometers. It was amazing. You could print rubber gaskets directly onto plastic parts. I used to 3D print clear molds for molding urethane parts. You could inject colored urethane and watch it spread through the mold halves. In fact, I printed molds and molded urethane leaf bushings and pads for my roadster when I rebuilt the axle last winter.

4kZeE6d.jpg

• Like 4

I like those lugs, where you get them?  I got some chrome plated ones from ebay and they have seen better days.  

Ebay. They are the black version of the ones I used to have on my Frontier. They are 7/16-20 splined "tuner" lug nuts. They come with a special socket.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/24-Black-6-Spline-Drive-Tuner-Wheel-7-16-Lug-Nuts-With-6-Spline-Key-7-16-20/282689621624?hash=item41d19d4e78:g:dnsAAOSwurZZEciy&vxp=mtr

• Like 1