mainer311

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What are you using?  

A universal plastic canister that I found at Pepboys. It's made out of the same stuff that milk jugs are molded out of. They had two sizes; I bought the smaller one. 3 of the 4 corners have nipples molded in. You cut the one on the bottom to use as the infeed/outfeed. It can be mounted in two different directions.

https://www.pepboys.com/product/details/8566665/00419

Willing to sell them?  I asked about a phone dock/cradle before and was told "put your phone down when you driving!!!! you could kill someone"  Was a good laugh. 

Whats underneath the ashtray?  Bottom of the dash?  I never looked to see.  Imagine you can just drill through it?

I designed and 3D printed a phone dock that will be installed into my ash tray. Tested the fit this morning and it looks pretty good. If I can figure out how, I will run the cable down through the dash to my headunit.

iNxeqqM.jpg

Nice work on that....

I wish I had better access to a 3d printer... even a Bridgeport and a lathe...

• Like 1

There's actually nothing below the ashtray.... I was thinking why not put the ashtray aside and print something that fits the entire opening in the dash.. then drill through that....

Those ashtrays are stupid expensive for some reason.... atleast the ones I saw for sale were 125 to 140....

That was option #2. I figured it was just easier to double-sided tape the dock into the bottom of the ashtray. I just need to drill a small hole in the bottom for the cable to pass through. What's nice about this is, I can close the ashtray lid when the phone is removed, and nobody is the wiser.

• Like 1

So, my giant ass phone doesn’t fit below the windshield. Instead of having a 5 degree tilt back, I need to tilt the phone about 10 degrees forward. The ash tray is just too far forward on the dash to have enough vertical room. Will try printing Rev B tomorrow.

• Like 1

That was option #2. I figured it was just easier to double-sided tape the dock into the bottom of the ashtray. I just need to drill a small hole in the bottom for the cable to pass through. What's nice about this is, I can close the ashtray lid when the phone is removed, and nobody is the wiser.

Make the phone dock fit the ash tray hole, then you do not need to drill a hole.