mainer311

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Today, I designed and printed a small tach mount. It angles the tach up an additional 10 degrees above the angle of the steering column. Not really a necessary mod, but it will come in handy for setting idle speed w/o having to get the timing light out all the time.

iXRNA8U.jpg

• Like 2

Which TAC are you using and that mount goes on the steering column?   I have a TAC but no way of mounting it and it looks similar to yours.  

Yes, the pinch clamp goes on the steering column. The tach is offset to the passenger side at 45 degrees and then angled upwards another 10. 

It's this one. I had a Pep Boys rewards gift card, so I only paid $12 for it. I like it. I was going to put an LED bulb in it, but after I tested it on a battery, I found that the crappy incandescent bulb makes it look old at night. 

https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-SP0F000025-Sport-Tachometer-Black/dp/B00UM9WWBE

• Like 1

Instead of jamming those nuts in the mount couldn't you have just threaded the screw through the hole and attached the nut on the other end?  And can I get a mount?  Pretty sure I have the same size gauge.  

You could do it that way, but then you'd need a wrench  ;)

8-32 screws have like 3 different nut sizes, so the hex that I designed in was one size too small for the nuts that I found laying around. No big deal. Once I sand it, dip it in acetone, and paint it, you won't even be able to tell.

• Like 1

I’ll find the sources somewhere. There’s nothing under my ashtray. I’ll most likely pick up something near the ignition switch.

I put an inline Molex connector on the back of the tach, so I can disconnect the tach w/o having to pull the whole wire harness.

• Like 1

Them wires are there, one is always hot for the cigarette lighter, that one can also be used for the memory in modern radios, one is ground, one is for the light in the radio, and one is for the radio itself when the key is on, if your not using them they may be taped/connected to the back of the face of the dash out of site.

• Like 1

I didn’t make the harness to work that way. Why run 4 H4’s and only have two on at low beam?

It's likely the law, you could possibly get a ticket because it will look like your brights are on, check your laws.

If it was legal and safer they would have made them that way from the factory.