California approved engine swaps.

1979_datsun_620

anybody have any pointers as far as getting a bone stock 1970 Japanese bluebird to pass emissions in California. like what i need to do, change or add to my car to get it legal? any help would be appreciated.

To my knowledge the! 1970s JDM emission standards exceeded the California standards!  So passing the emissions standards should be a piece of cake unless prior owners "improved performance" by buggering up the JDM pollution control add ons. In the 1970s the US armed forces went so far as advising GIs looking to import their USA vehicles that if the vehicle was not a California certified vehicle that the chance of passing Japanese import restrictions was nil!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe a high compression L16/18 with dual carbs was cleaner than a stock L16 sold here.

1970. What was available here?

There was air injection into the exhaust manifolds to aid in completing the combustion of left over hydrocarbons.

The air filter housing has provision for mixing exhaust manifold warmed air with ambient to provide a more constant regulated air temperature.

Engine and gas tank fumes were collected and burned via the PCV valve.

Intakes had coolant circulated through them to moderate the intake air temperatures.

Vacuum advance was eliminated at idle to burn off emissions more effectively

Dual points were used to retard the ignition during warm up and in some lower gears to reduce emissions. 

Catalytic converters and EGR were still a few years away.

To my knowledge the! 1970s JDM emission standards exceeded the California standards!  So passing the emissions standards should be a piece of cake unless prior owners "improved performance" by buggering up the JDM pollution control add ons. In the 1970s the US armed forces went so far as advising GIs looking to import their USA vehicles that if the vehicle was not a California certified vehicle that the chance of passing Japanese import restrictions was nil!

I can't believe a high compression L16/18 with dual carbs was cleaner than a stock L16 sold here.

1970. What was available here?

There was air injection into the exhaust manifolds to aid in completing the combustion of left over hydrocarbons.

The air filter housing has provision for mixing exhaust manifold warmed air with ambient to provide a more constant regulated air temperature.

Engine and gas tank fumes were collected and burned via the PCV valve.

Intakes had coolant circulated through them to moderate the intake air temperatures.

Vacuum advance was eliminated at idle to burn off emissions more effectively

Dual points were used to retard the ignition during warm up and in some lower gears to reduce emissions. 

Catalytic converters and EGR were still a few years away.

Emissions standards for that time were made with the big dirty american cars in mind.

When I had to last smog my 1974 B210 (about 2000), the stock engine emissions where stupidly low, and less then 1/10th the allowed amount, and this was for California.

Pre 75 is except. But anything before that has to have whatever smog equip it came with factory. Idk bout importing,but dmv/smog wise. Everything has to be there tho it doesnt have to work. So best thing is verfy what the jdm had. Clean/tune/tuneup best u can and go from there. Doc. Everything u can,get ur story straight. One misspoken word or action can screw u.

But they did require it a while back. When I had my 1971 510 street car I had to smog it. The law changed in CA to move the date up from 196? to 1975. That happened 15 or so years ago.

Spoke to soon, sb 1239 did not go through, dang it. It was 1966 and above at one time. This is why I picked up my 65 mustang fb, like 22 years ago. Bought my 71 510 in Oct. 2002 and didn't need smog, so that was 15 years ago.

For California the law used to be 25yrs or older did not require smog. I had to smog my 72' 1200 and my 74' B210 a few times. In 2000 or so, they changed the law to 75 and older did not require testing anymore. 

All you can do is vote someone else into office, and make sure you tell the one in that position now via email why you will be voting for the other person.

In Texas several politicians that got voted into office were recalled because they supported guns laws that the people that voted them in office didn't want, at least that is what I seen/heard said on the local public broadcasting station, the ones talking about it(rich folks) were obviously upset about all them politicians(they said Democrats) losing office from being recalled.

• Like 1

All you can do is vote someone else into office, and make sure you tell the one in that position now via email why you will be voting for the other person.

In Texas several politicians that got voted into office were recalled because they supported guns laws that the people that voted them in office didn't want, at least that is what I seen/heard said on the local public broadcasting station, the ones talking about it(rich folks) were obviously upset about all them politicians(they said Democrats) losing office from being recalled.

California is a single party state at this point. Many of the races are not even run offs between Democrat and Republican, but just between different Democrats. All of them want to add as many extra taxes and laws and restrictions as possible it seems like.

• Like 2

California is a single party state at this point. Many of the races are not even run offs between Democrat and Republican, but just between different Democrats. All of them want to add as many extra taxes and laws and restrictions as possible it seems like.

And adding to this, many of those liberals who live here end up not liking what they vote and depart to other states such as Oregon and Arizona to inflict their political agenda and try to ruin those places too. It's hard to imagine why anyone wanted governor Brown. Sigh...sorry neighboring states. 

• Like 1