521 Upper control arm bushings?

d.p

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife's 521 will easily do 50+ in 3rd on the on ramp.  I used to run it back and forth to Salem....1hr....at 70-80 without any issues.  It came to use with a dogleg behind the L16/weber and I put a 3.89 rear end in it.  I still towed complete 521's behind it with a tow bar....up some serious hills.  

• Like 1

My wife's 521 will easily do 50+ in 3rd on the on ramp.  I used to run it back and forth to Salem....1hr....at 70-80 without any issues.  It came to use with a dogleg behind the L16/weber and I put a 3.89 rear end in it.  I still towed complete 521's behind it with a tow bar....up some serious hills.  

5 sp dogleg?  That is the easiest swap right?  Heard its not a very robust tranny but how robust do they need to be in a 521?

• Like 1

the 4 speeds are fine for around town.

I like them as if im really lazy you can up shift w/o the clutch.  give it gas and let off just right and one can put it in the next gear.. This is good when the slave cylinder/MC blows out and one can start in 1st gear and up shift to get home

280zx 5speeds are good

but ezest install I believe is the 77-79 200sx model

• Like 1

5 sp dogleg?  That is the easiest swap right?  Heard its not a very robust tranny but how robust do they need to be in a 521?

This one came with the truck, so I've never done the install.  We don't drive hard enough to worry about how robust it is. lol   I'm not sure how the 1st gear ratios compare between the 4spd and dogleg, but if they're the same, I'd put a 3.89 diff in.  

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

Are you talking about the inner or outer bushings?

30 minutes ago, Jstocks said:

I don't know of you guys like a good old throw back, but I need some upper control arm bushings but can't seem to find a solid solution. 

Rock auto has a some.but they don't look like the ones in bluehands vids. 

A little help for a guy? 

• Like 1

The 320 and Roadster share these front suspension spindle/bushing parts, the 521 has much larger bushings/caps and the caps will not interchange.

3 hours ago, mainer311 said:

The threaded inner bushings look extremely similar to datsun roadster bushings, but I don't know if they're the same. 

• Like 2
19 hours ago, Jstocks said:

I don't know of you guys like a good old throw back, but I need some upper control arm bushings but can't seem to find a solid solution. 

Rock auto has a some.but they don't look like the ones in bluehands vids. 

A little help for a guy? 

Yep....I machined those from a Energy Suspension bushing.  There's a tiny chance I have a set of the 2 piece ones left, but I'm not sure.  PM me if you want me to check.  The rubber ones only last about 6 months in my experience and the front one gets completely crushed right after installation.  All the trucks I've seen......the top of the dogbone gets pushed forward for some reason...really hard....so the delrin washers(on the ones I was making) on each side of the bushing aren't just there to look pretty. :) lol

• Like 3
5 hours ago, mklotz70 said:

Yep....I machined those from a Energy Suspension bushing.  There's a tiny chance I have a set of the 2 piece ones left, but I'm not sure.  PM me if you want me to check.  The rubber ones only last about 6 months in my experience and the front one gets completely crushed right after installation.  All the trucks I've seen......the top of the dogbone gets pushed forward for some reason...really hard....so the delrin washers(on the ones I was making) on each side of the bushing aren't just there to look pretty. 🙂 lol

I think I'll just run the rock auto 2 piece ones just to try and get this thing to be a rolling solid chassis again. 
I'm bringing this old truck back and it's in a terrible rusty state. 
You worked with my brother in law Barto on some really nice D21 uppers. 
I plan to do the disc brake conversation over this summer once I get this thing mobile again. 
Lots to do and soooo little time. 😛

Thanks for the replies fellas, really appreciate it. 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Jstocks said:

I think I'll just run the rock auto 2 piece ones just to try and get this thing to be a rolling solid chassis again. 
I'm bringing this old truck back and it's in a terrible rusty state. 
You worked with my brother in law Barto on some really nice D21 uppers. 
I plan to do the disc brake conversation over this summer once I get this thing mobile again. 
Lots to do and soooo little time. 😛

Thanks for the replies fellas, really appreciate it. 

I sent you a pm about the urethane ones.  They're nice and cheap.  We know they don't last very long, so buy a few sets.  Put some grease on the bolt or inside the bushings when you install them.  The steel sleeve in the bushings rust to the bolt and then you have to cut the bolt out.  If you can avoid that, then it's real easy to change out the bushings later.

Ah.....yes.....Barto provided me with some great crash testing info. LOL  I think we worked it out so that he got a set of the pretty blue ones before I ran out.

Disc conversion?  Which one?

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, bilzbobaggins said:

right after you get more brake kits done most likely........🥺.....For those of us who are stupid and did not get while the getting was good.

Nothing against Mike as he does great work but Beebani’s is just as capable.  

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, d.p said:

Nothing against Mike as he does great work but Beebani’s is just as capable.  

I know.  Unless you want stock wheels as I do.  Its my own goddamn fault.  Kinda like the NOS 521 carrier bearing and rubber that was already a steal on ebay.  I should have just clicked buy now, but tired to beat him down.

Edited by bilzbobaggins
  • Like 1