Leaf spring question(s)

Duncan

It appears my newly acquired sedan has a rear axle from a '74 or later ute. It's a H165, and sprung VERY stiff. (I'm thinking it probably has the pickup springs in it, too)

Today, I just acquired the rear axle assembly from a B210/120y sedan donor along with the springs, drive shaft, and all the mounting hardware. I want to use the H150 because I can get a NOS ring and pinion with a 3:70 ratio.

Will the B210 leaf springs work? (Is the spring rate close, and/or will they fit?)

Should I go grab the std 1200 springs and use them? (I know where there is a pair available)

I just got back from the wreckers, it's dark, (I can't measure for fit right now) and if I need the 1200 springs, a road trip is on for the first thing in the morning.

Thanks for your help!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No big. I made the road trip and the springs I was looking for were gone. Since the B210 springs are a bit longer, someone on the 1200 board suggested changing the main leaf on the B210 with the main leaf from the 1200.

The B210 weight and size is similar to the 1200, so I *assume* the spring rates are close/similar. (of course I could always be wrong on that)

If worse comes to worse, I could use the springs that are on it now. I just spent half a day in my Coupe, and it definitely has a softer ride. These days, I'm liking soft and easy..

• 2 weeks later...

you could change out the main leaf but make sure that the #2 leaf doesn't extend past the centerline of the spring eyes. If you need to shorten it then

just make sure each leaf has roughly eqaul distance to the next leaf.

I built leaf springs for 10 years.

Damon

Seattle

you could change out the main leaf but make sure that the #2 leaf doesn't extend past the centerline of the spring eyes. If you need to shorten it then

Damon

Seattle

So Damon... your 10 years experience is probably about 10 more years than most people... I've been wondering how to add leaves to a 620 to get more load capacity without making the ride brutally stiff. I was guessing the longest leaves would tend to effect the first few inches of travel more than the shorter springs. Is that a relatively true statement?

relatively. you don't want to just add alot long leaves.

the really short bottom leafs really are like spacers. But

even spacing helps life span. Alot of Semi trucks are going away

from lots of leaves in the pack and going to tapered spring packs

in the front end. They can get capacity and softer ride with say

2 or 3 big tapered leaves then 13 normal leaves. The tapered are

all the same length.

I also don't know of any spring shops in the Seattle area that custom make main leafs anymore. I worked at Benz Spring in Seattle until they closed in 2001 and then went to work at Universal Fleet in Marysville as the spring maker until they closed in 2003.

In Portland there still are spring shops. Benz Spring is they and Oregon Auto Springs.

Thanks Damon,

I *really* appreciate your help. I will check it out and heed your advice if I do end up swapping the main leaf.

I got the axles back today from the shop, (had new bearings pressed on) and the NOS ring and pinion showed up today.

I just realized that I grabbed the rear axle and driveshaft from a B210 sedan w/ an automatic! I guess the front yoke is different than the manual trans.

Since I have a driveshaft from a 210, a B210, and a 1200, I'm sure I can find ends that will work :) After that, I'm having a driveshaft sale...

Damon

Seattle

btw what are you planning to do to the ute axle?

could you reply ASAP because tommorow im going to rip one of a honey bee in the pick your part

No immediate plans for it. If that Honeybee is a manual trans, could you grab the driveshaft for me, or let me know where it is? (I could use another one for my collection)

• 4 weeks later...

B210s use a different differntial rear flange, it is bigger. This is for both auto and manual. With a b210 DIFF, use the B210 or B310 4-speed driveshaft. The 5-speed and Auto driveshaft have a bigger slip yoke. The 4speed smaller.

Only the 1974 used the same yoke as the 71-73 1200s.