New Member and First Time Datsun Owner

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yunno, I don't even think it works. haven't used it once. just pulled it a few times at purchase to feel how much the cable needed adjusted. gonna pop off my drum brakes (rear only) and see if it needs adjustment. maybe sand the drum etc just to avoid it snagging the friction material. don't think the original wheels and rims would rub the front disk brakes at all and doesn't look like it. if its not the brakes I'm scared to move it until I figure it out.

Try spacers.

limited bolt length, also remodeling my property. garage was about 16k and rewiring all three structures will be about 18k when its all done so improvising tools, and parts. figured it out...I think... So I tested the caliper and the piston wouldn't go back in smoothly or at all sometimes after extending. this leads me to believe the rubber gasket ring under the dust boot isn't turning and pulling the piston back in. everything else is greased and works fine as far as I can tell. took the piston out. gonna have to flush the brakes after this. cause the piston popped out when I dismounted the caliper and brake fluid went everywhere. although inconvenient not the end of the world. could have certainly been a more complicated fix. side note. Are brake calipers universal?

What's the hub? Of the rim?

Calipers would be pretty safe .... if the rim is on and can rotate it should only a small amount that needs to be removed....

meant the caliper rubs the inside of the rim but it was cause the piston wouldn't go back into place. gonna get a rebuild kit for the piston. should only run me about 7 bucks. aside from it malfunctioning the piston looks great, taking this time to scrub out the piston housing and remove any rust from the gasket lip.

That makes more sense.... and while some calipers are similar they are not universal.....

Is it a factory disc setup or conversion?

My 620 is 76 so I believe they are conversions. could be wrong. they are single piston, TOKICO, B12-9 H1 disk brakes. cant wait to get a vapor blaster so I can restore parts without hours of sanding lol  :rolleyes:

oh yeah! made a 25 mile trip after just cleaning up my existing parts and sanding my rim and caliper slightly I got it to work just fine, also my speedometer is accurate again. progress. I can feel I need to tune my valve lashes though.  Had  this whirring noise that felt like it came from inside the dash. not sure what it was. it was speed related though.

UPDATE

Finally went to install my new pertronix set up only to realize Summit didn't send a whole kit. the rubber ring with the conductive receiver wasn't inside. only the magnet and instructions... so now to see how  difficult its going to be to get my complete kit.

UPDATE... points don't work anymore after reinstalling them either. the gap inked into my manual doesn't exist on my feeler either.

Set the gap to around 0.020"

Get a $5 test lamp to stop guessing.

To test for spark take the center distributor wire off the cap and place an old spark plug in the end. Place plug on a grounded surface or make a ground wire for it.

1/ Check that there is power to the + terminal on the coil using a test lamp.

No... power, find out why. Bad ballast? Bad ignition switch?

Yes... there is power... go to 2/

2/ Disconnect any wire going to the coil negative side. With key on and power to the coil, get a jumper wire and briefly ground the - terminal on the coil. You should get a fat spark when the wire is removed...

No spark... coil is bad

Yes spark... go to 3/

3/ Connect up points to the coil - terminal. Turn engine to a position where the points are open. Use test lamp to check for voltage (dim light) on the points with key on.

No.... lamp does not light up. Points are not connected to the coil negative terminal. Or the wire from the coil - terminal is grounded somewhere, maybe pinched or where the wire enters the distributor.

Yes... there is power, go to 4/

Turn engine so points close and open. Is there spark now?

No... points are not conducting to ground. Is distributor grounded? Make a jumper wire and hold ground to distributor body and re try spark test.

definitely considering ordering from them. need some more stuff anyways. since points are like 3 bucks I'm going to get a spare set today while I get an order together and knock out a bunch of stuff.

I've ordered from speedway... I can't remember what but I got no complaints... personally I've been using Amazon, depending on way I need... $25 orders are free shipping....

• Like 1

How come u did not order from pertronix direct?

Yunno, I never even thought of that. I was ordering 4 other items as well so summit made sense.

I've ordered from speedway... I can't remember what but I got no complaints... personally I've been using Amazon, depending on way I need... $25 orders are free shipping....

I'll keep that in mind. otherwise I end up waiting till I can get at least a 100$ in parts.