'79 Strip down

Stackedfish

UPDATE: Engine has been re-assembled and mated to the transmission. Big thanks to Sanil to letting me borrow his hoist. I'm off to a new job closer to home meaning i have to shift the truck out of this awesome workshop. Cab and tray have been temporarily fitted back onto the chassis for transport. Will take a break from working on her until the funds come back up next year. 2019 will see the engine fired, cab and tray blasted/dipped, filler and primed ready for paint. 

HyMv0UN.jpg

m8p4Ef9.jpg

b1kKs39.jpg

• Like 2
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A big thanks to the bro Scott for sending me through a few photos of the old girl from when he owned it. Pretty cool seeing all of these photos of how she use to look. Wish it still had the canopy !! I'll be looking for a new left hand side door next year (the red one) if anyone has one in good nick floating around.

gf9Mdhf.jpg

IeCXqKa.jpg

OgamkcQ.jpg

plvi0Mi.jpg

• Like 4

Too bad. I was enjoying this thread. Hopefully it won't sit too long.

I am always interested in the towing procedures of vehicles in other countries. It seems, here in the USA, we are a towing culture. Turbo diesel pickups with 10,000 lb GVW tandem axle trailers and chains with binders seem to be the norm for us, so when I see a pic of a single axle trailer behind a light duty SUV, I always look for the license plates, assuming I will see another country.

• Like 2

It wont be sitting for long. Just a couple of months while we visit the USA and Europe. Here in New Zealand you will see a similar towing culture however, the trailer ratings tend to be ignored to a degree haha. Our ute's (pickups) are significantly smaller than the USA (3.0 - 3.6 litre turbo diesels) with tow ratings maxing out around 3.5 ton. For large/long hauls people will pay for tow/haulage to save the hassle of buying large and expensive trailers.  Looking forward to seeing the USA for the first time. We'll be in Califonia and Virginia over three weeks. 

• Like 3
On 8/2/2018 at 8:17 PM, Stackedfish said:

While im in the states does anyone have a plastic steering column surround in good condition that they would be keen to sell ? Mine has a big ole hole in the top of it.

Would also be keen on a retro Cali licence plate for the wall of the garage back home.

I may have one. When is your trip planned for.  

Do you have an address that can be shipped to in Cali? 

• Like 1

Will you be in California on the 18th of August.

If you are we would be honored to have you attend our 11th Annual Southwest Datsun Pickups Barbecue.  The information is Here in the SWDP Barbecue post.

https://ratsun.net/topic/73922-the-official-swdp-11th-annual-barbecue-august-18th-2018/

It would be fun to have you enjoy the day with some of the California & Arizona Datsun people.  Bring your family, all are welcome.

• Like 1

I'm in Pasadena ( LA ) and could receive shipments if it's convenient for you.

There's a guy in AZ who has surrounds and was headed out here. I'll see if he's bringing any along

*update - sending his contact # in a PM 

Edited by GRpufnstuf
  • Like 1
  • 4 months later...

Its been a while. Unfortunately we were very limited in free time while we were in the states and missed the Southwest BBQ which would have been awesome to check out. 
Managed to visit Monterey, Sana Cruz, San Jose, San Fran and Tahoe while we were in Cali. which blew our minds being from little old NZ. Anyways, due to a change in jobs and me having to get the truck out of the old work place and back home, I've been very limited as to what I can work on. The dash was severely cracked so I decided to tackle it by widening the cracks and filling it with flexible filler. The metal backing also got a sanding and re-spray with matte black paint. I'm struggling to settle on a texture spray for the dash board as I haven't been able to find one with a vinyl (ish) finish.

SxHIeTd.jpg

JSZMVqd.jpg

NsgyFOJ.jpg

• Like 5
  • 6 months later...
On 8/10/2019 at 3:14 AM, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I am very interested in seeing the long term results of the dash cap repair.

Was actually a re-spray job with some texture rattle can paint. Not expecting it to remain perfect but it looks much better than its original state. Will likely cover with a dash protector. 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, Valvebounce said:

Hey stackedfish. 

I know this truck. I remember seeing it on trademe back when it still had that Canopy. Then a bloke named Louis had it. (I think I'm still friends with him in FB)

What town/city are you in?

Small world. Yeah I bought the truck off Louis about a year and a half ago. The truck is up in Hamilton now. I wish it still had that canopy.

• Like 2