Rear main seal situation. Looking for help.

Spamaho

Hey all I have a 79 Datsun 620 with the 2.0 liter LB 4 cylinder with the automatic transmission. I am currently in the process of pulling the transmission and replacing the rear main seal. The question I have is what would happen if I didn't replace the rear main cap side seals (some people call them oil curtains if I am not mistaken)?

The reason I am asking is I don't want to take the rear main cap off and risk messing the rod bearing up. Hopefully you guys can help out.

• Like 1
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes the rear main seal was pushed out of the top lol. I already removed it and it had a giant tear in it. I just wanted to make to sure that those didn't need to be replaced before putting it back together

• Like 1

Yes the rear main seal was pushed out of the top lol. I already removed it and it had a giant tear in it. I just wanted to make to sure that those didn't need to be replaced before putting it back together

You don't have to remove the RMS cap where the "side curtains live".  Just replace the big round seal and call it a day.

• 4 months later...

Update ..... I know it's been a min. I wanted to put some Milesian the truck & on the rear mail seal & just wanted to update y'all. It's not leaking and it's doing great . Thanks for the help & the quick replies.