Brakes

I don't know if it's just me, but the search function isn't working for me on my laptop or phone.  I keep getting a "Linked CSEs are no longer supported. See https://goo.gl/Gs1KIc." message.  Since I'm hoping to find an answer to my question soon and this isn't VWVortex (if you're a member, you know) I figured I would risk the  potential ridicule to ask what may be a simple question: Will later model 610 front brake calipers and/or rotors work on a 73 610?  

I have been trying to work on the brakes of my wife's wagon but the calipers are frozen in place. I cannot find anyone who has a set of remanufactured calipers or new rotors for the 73. 

It's aggravating as hell because up to this point redoing the brake system wasn't that difficult. She wants to keep it stock and stick with the 13s, so no big brake kits or . I appreciate any help you can give. I've bought a rebuild kit from rockauto, I'm not sure if it comes with the springs. I would happily take the time to return it if the later calipers worked. Thank you for any help you can give. 

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 610 followed right after the 510 and continued with the wedge shaped caliper brake pads. This changed to the more familiar square pads... maybe for '74.

My '74 710 had the wedge pads and changed for '75. I think the 610 was earlier than the 710 so '74 and up were different than the earlier ones.

I noticed they were different part numbers, I just wasn't sure if they would mount up.  My first 280zx had first gen rear calipers and I was able to swap them with the nicer second gen style from an 83. I was hoping it was the same for the 610, different calipers, same mounting. 

I was waiting for it, haha. Search is still returning the whole "Linked CSEs are no longer supported. See https://goo.gl/Gs1KIc." message thing. Most of what I found with prior searches was how to upgrade, which will be cool in the future.t I literally just lucked up and found a set of calipers for sale and bought them.  "New addition to the family" is the thread I have going for it, lots of pics of the old girl in there. It's an awesome little car. I'm hoping to get rid of my Jetta truck and get a 620 King Cab, then we will have a whole set of datsuns (610, 280zx, 620). There's one for sale near Wilmington NC that I've had my eyes on.  Now that I've gotten way off subject I'll get back to work.

That's what I've been doing. Never got a clear answer. I'm guessing the 610 and 510 share the same brakes. There's a lot of information about using 280zx struts, but very little about keeping stock, except threads explaining to people that you don't need four piston brakes and drilled slotted rotors for normal daily driving. I found a thread about stock parts that swap from one car to another but it died off unfortunately. It's cool though, Im set now. 

Thanks man, I appreciate the offer. I was able to get a set of brakes and get her rollin! Man, my wife (hell, me too) is so freaking excited. We took it for a spin around the neighborhood and ran out of gas two blocks away from our house.....I know, I'm a dumb ass, lol. That damn wagon is LOUD. I'm pretty sure I have an exhaust leak somewhere, unless they are just loud af. I need to bleed the brakes all way around again though, right now it takes me pumping a few times to get a good hard stop. Next step will be fixing the copious amount of vacuum leaks then AC. Thanks for all the help guys.