1970 Sports Car Graphic Magazine Article

I recently was given 6 boxes of really old hot-rod magzines from the 40's up thru the 70's. In it was a magazine called Sports Car Graphic. The big article was comparing the the 71 Ford Pinto with the Chevy Vega, and the AMC Gremlin.

I was about to toss it in the misc pile when I saw the word Datsun on the bottom of that list. Although I'm way to big to own one, I did work on many back in the 70's and I thought you guys would enjoy the article. See how long it takes you find the author's big "oops."

blPmokg.jpg

x3FEjSp.jpg

G8bzhUW.jpg

OfMc3rY.jpg

E2eDJ6o.jpg

• Like 6
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know about the oops but, S&M Nursery....we will beat your root into submission.

So wanna work there.

Beat me, abuse me, show me you care.

• Like 1

From the tone of the article, it looks like the deliberately induced typo "Ter" was the author's 70's bell-bottomed jeans wearing, long haired, dope smoking hippie writer way of being journalistically tongue-in-cheek cool by changing 'tell' to 'ter' , thereby aping the way some Japanese pronounce the letter 'L'. While I enjoyed reading SCG back in the day as a bell-bottomed jeans wearing, long haired, dope smoking hippie teen, (please don't tell me Mum) the writing style seems quite sophomoric reading it in 2017.  :D  

BTW, both the Datsun and the Toyota's styling still looks quite fresh some 46 years later, versus today's origami-creased or jellybean lookalikes.

From the tone of the article, it looks like the deliberately induced typo "Ter" was the author's 70's bell-bottomed jeans wearing, long haired, dope smoking hippie writer way of being journalistically tongue-in-cheek cool by changing 'tell' to 'ter' , thereby aping the way some Japanese pronounce the letter 'L'. While I enjoyed reading SCG back in the day as a bell-bottomed jeans wearing, long haired, dope smoking hippie teen, (please don't tell me Mum) the writing style seems quite sophomoric reading it in 2017.  :D  

BTW, both the Datsun and the Toyota's styling still looks quite fresh some 46 years later, versus today's origami-creased or jellybean lookalikes.

Duh...re-reading the article I see the editors swapped the side shots on the stats pages. Perhaps this was a continuation of Van Vulkenbergh's "Can't hardly tell them apart" theme of the article...

I totally agree on all points. It certainly goes to show you how times change, but the style is still interesting. You call em jelly beans, I call em turd-mobiles. Ugly!

I really enjoyed looking at how the advertising has changed over time too. I'll see if I can spend some time scanning and post some. 

• 3 weeks later...

It's been up a month, you just lag on your Ratsun time!   :poke:

In all seriousness I had a serious back injury that immobilized me for a few weeks. Now spending my time running from doctor to doctor, and trying to catch up with working.  

Been planning to check out the alternatives to see which photo site is as user friendly as Poop Bucket, or might be around longer. Want to spend as little time learning a new site as possible.

Have any suggestions?

Thanks! I'll see what I can do this weekend.

A friend gave 300+ Hot rod type magazines from 1946-1968. I was street racing in 72-79 or so, and trends, advertising, and technology have sure changed. It was really interesting to see how different it was 30 years earlier.

I thought it would be neat to start a thread posting some of the early advertisements to show other generations what they could get away with back then , how' racing has progressed, and what migraine names are still in biz today. Even in the 30,s guys liked to have girls with parasols posed next to their "rides, but they were completely covered up and had parasols, lol"

But it will be a lot of scanning, maybe post 2-3 at a time?

• Like 1