72 510 steering column diameter

Hi, my 72 510 needs a new ignition switch ( the collar type which grips around the column ). There is one on E-bay that has an inside diameter stated as 38mm, however my old one measures 40mm. The fact that the E-bay one has a measurement listed suggests to me that there may be different diameter columns. Can anyone confirm this? Thank you in advance : ))

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LHD-MODEL-38MM-IGNITION-SWITCH-STARTER-KEYS-SET-FIT-DATSUN-BLUEBIRD-510-/152602221973?vxp=mtr&hash=item2387cd1d95

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I measured both the column in my '72 510 and an extra column from a parts car 510 (which I'm fairly sure was a '72 also). Both measure 38mm diameter. These are US spec left-hand drive cars. I don't know if there may have been a different diameter column for other countries or for RHD. The eBay seller mentions the ones he is selling are for LHD model so maybe there is a difference there. If you have just a bad key switch, those are available I believe.

Len

• Like 1

I was curious about measuring the column if I couldn't find any calipers around here (tools often fade into the parallel universe although they generally return when I no longer need them). I doubled over a length of masking tape so the two sticky sides stuck to each other (only so the tape didn't stick to the column). I wrapped the tape around the column and marked the joint where ends of the tape overlapped. The circumference of a circle is pi times the diameter. So 38mm times 3.14 is 119mm. When I laid the masking tape out flat and measured it I got 120mm which I think is close enough considering I wasn't being extremely careful when I wrapped it . Maths is fun when it works.

Len

• Like 1