Crytek89

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/16/2019 at 4:33 PM, Monchi1999 said:

Doing my swap as we speak and ordering some random stuff for it. What flywheel and clutch did you run with your setup? 

Not sure how I missed this.. I ended up going with a stock KA flywheel and an ACT 6-puck stage 2, was a little pricey but it grabs like hell.

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/30/2020 at 9:25 PM, Nvrlwenf said:

I have a question for the op. If you started with a ka24de out of a frontier, would the mods still be the same?  Oil pan, rear sump, etc....

Modifications to the oil pan/rear sump wouldn't be required on a DE from the frontier but depending on the model year may result in a different wiring setup depending if it's OBDI or OBDII.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/21/2017 at 11:27 PM, Crytek89 said:

Hey Guys,

I recently finished my KA24DE swap into a 720 (June 2017) and based on the information that I could find, the swap still proved to be an advanced undertaking.

With that said, this community has helped me so much to achieve the vision I pictured for my truck the day I first saw it - I knew it was going to need more power for my young 20's self and the KA certainly provides that.

This guide is still a work in progress and as I begin my first few thousand kms in the truck I'm sure I'll be doing some editing to make parts more clear and understanding. Please bear with me while we work on the best how-to guide we can for others to enjoy and reference.

plvKkhNl.jpg

PY4GH7ll.jpg

AerB5ydl.jpg

0bWqGwTl.jpg

Full story on the truck and rebuild of the engine itself: 
http://imgur.com/a/gBCD5

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/68278-1985-720-engine-swap/

So you did the ka24de swap with the z24 would you know if it be the same process with the l20b engine and stock trans on my 1980 720

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Ken's datsun said:

So you did the ka24de swap with the z24 would you know if it be the same process with the l20b engine and stock trans on my 1980 720

You’ll need a different tranny. Otherwise should be pretty similar.

• Like 2
  • 10 months later...
On 6/2/2020 at 3:49 PM, ]2eDeYe said:

You can use a Z-series transmission or hardbody transmission to keep the stock driveshaft length. 

Hardbody will have the 71C

Exactly where I’m currently at. So, when I pulled the motor and trans from donor vehicle I noticed it has a crank position sensor on the top of the bell housing. My z series trans doesn’t. So, can that sensor be bypassed somehow?  Or is that something I will be needing the icehouse box for?

• Like 1
9 hours ago, ]2eDeYe said:

Unfortunately you need that sensor for the engine to run. You need that specific bellhousing. 

There is probably a way to install a different sensor setup but that I am not familiar with. 

Do I need that sensor for the engine to run? Or will the Ecu just throw a code?  It’s not for a daily and will not be inspected. If it doesn’t change the way it runs, that’ll be ok. How do people normally use the Z trans with the ka24de?

• 2 months later...

I'm kinda glad this tread is still alive! Does anyone know if there will be any differences is wiring for the hardbody Ka24de if I am using a 240sx engine harness?

On 4/22/2021 at 12:08 AM, TishaMorganrdh said:

Do I need that sensor for the engine to run? Or will the Ecu just throw a code? It’s not for a daily and will not be inspected. If it doesn’t change the way it runs, that’ll be ok. How do people normally use the Z trans with the ka24de?

In reference to the last bit of this as far as I have seen the stock 720 transmission is normally used but if I am not mistaken one from an 83 280ZX can be used with some minor modifications to the case basically turning it into a 720 case with the front half's being swapped from either transmission. Someone please correct me if I am wrong as I would like to know for my own setup in the future 

On 4/21/2021 at 9:08 PM, TishaMorganrdh said:

Do I need that sensor for the engine to run? Or will the Ecu just throw a code?  It’s not for a daily and will not be inspected. If it doesn’t change the way it runs, that’ll be ok. How do people normally use the Z trans with the ka24de?

This sensor lets the ECU know where the crankshaft is precisely so that timing and plug firing can be computed. It won't even start without this info.

24 minutes ago, Toxic2597 said:

I'm kinda glad this tread is still alive! Does anyone know if there will be any differences is wiring for the hardbody Ka24de if I am using a 240sx engine harness?

In reference to the last bit of this as far as I have seen the stock 720 transmission is normally used but if I am not mistaken one from an 83 280ZX can be used with some minor modifications to the case basically turning it into a 720 case with the front half's being swapped from either transmission. Someone please correct me if I am wrong as I would like to know for my own setup in the future 

Yes you could swap to a 280zx transmission but for what gain? The  '80 and up 71B are identical in power handling and other than a few switches and the 1,2,3 and OD ratios, they are the same. Look at it as the 720 borrowing the 280zx transmission but with a few gearing changes to suit the use in a truck. In fact if you have an '85 truck transmission it has the upgraded counter bearing that the 280zx doesn't have.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, I really should check in on this thread more often!
It's been a hectic past couple of years, changing jobs.. truck was taken off the road due to frame issues - thankfully not engine issues though 😅

I've been fairly occupied these past few weeks in taking apart my parts truck and prepping my "new" frame to be swapped in. I'm really wanting to go through the old guide and update with more precise and clear details in regards to the swap itself. This will also be a great time for me to take more photos, and hopefully videos, of both the engine installed in the bay, as well as with the cab off and the engine mounted to the bare frame itself.
Keep your eyes peeled for more updates coming in the next month or so!

On 6/26/2021 at 5:32 AM, Toxic2597 said:

I'm glad this thread is alive too! 
I can't thank the community enough for stepping in and helping answer questions in my absence and you guys really do bring this community together, I can't thank you enough for that.

As far as I know, there are some minor differences between the two engine harnesses, primarily with the alternator wiring and the distributor wiring, however I'm unsure as to the exact differences between them for reference. If I can locate an FSM for the D22 with a KA24DE I can certainly compare the two and let you know. I've got some friends who may also have some more information on this specifically, so I'll reach out and hopefully have an update for you on this! 🙂

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Crytek89 said:

Wow, I really should check in on this thread more often!
It's been a hectic past couple of years, changing jobs.. truck was taken off the road due to frame issues - thankfully not engine issues though 😅

I've been fairly occupied these past few weeks in taking apart my parts truck and prepping my "new" frame to be swapped in. I'm really wanting to go through the old guide and update with more precise and clear details in regards to the swap itself. This will also be a great time for me to take more photos, and hopefully videos, of both the engine installed in the bay, as well as with the cab off and the engine mounted to the bare frame itself.
Keep your eyes peeled for more updates coming in the next month or so!

I'm glad this thread is alive too! 
I can't thank the community enough for stepping in and helping answer questions in my absence and you guys really do bring this community together, I can't thank you enough for that.

As far as I know, there are some minor differences between the two engine harnesses, primarily with the alternator wiring and the distributor wiring, however I'm unsure as to the exact differences between them for reference. If I can locate an FSM for the D22 with a KA24DE I can certainly compare the two and let you know. I've got some friends who may also have some more information on this specifically, so I'll reach out and hopefully have an update for you on this! 🙂

Please do,

I've been lurking here for years waiting for my z24 to blow up on me so I can consider a KA24DET swap on my 85' 720 4x4 then move to a straight axle and lift. I love this truck. I take it camping stock and it's been an excellent truck to rally around in the PNW. I have considered buying a new truck like a Ranger, Colorado, Tundra, or that fancy new Bronco, but I'm in love with the character of these trucks, just hard to work on them when you don't have a garage you live near.

• Like 1

Yeah my shop for my truck is about an 1.5hr drive away, makes it a bit tricky to get up there without the truck on the road.. and I don't think the cops would like my drift car on the road more than it already is 😂

This is an interesting thread! I am interested in how it comes together. One thing I am concerned about is the motor mounts. The SD22 and the gassers have a slight difference in how the mounts are located, and I'm thinking the SD25 will be the same. I started to put an SD22 into a 1973 gasser and found about an inch, or so, difference in the location (don't remember the exact dimension and I'm not going out there now). I used a quarter inch plate, drilled holes to match the mount on the frame and then drilled holes to match the motor. Then I had a diesel frame given to me by wayno, so I am going that way now.

Don

• Like 1