MOTOR MOUNTS

BOZO

I am putting an L20b from a 1978 620 into a 1974 620. I noticed the rubber part of the mounts are different. The 1974 being just a square rubber biscuit and the 1978 being an interlocking rubber mount which is a bit taller than the other. The steel motor brackets SEEM to be the same. My question is which motor mount should I use?

• Like 1
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Well, dropped my L20b into my 1974 620 this last weekend. My thinking was to use the 1974 L18 motor mounts and rubber isolators.I know L20b's are taller but I figured the block width dimensions were the same. Upon setting the the motor brackets side by side, the L20b brackets look the same but are a lower profile. After much cussing and prying, I ended up using the L20b motor brackets with the L18 isolators. This is just speculation but I think the L20b block may be a bit wider in cross section than the L18. I have some good comparison photos of the motor mount brackets that I would show but my Android pad does not seem to offer up attachments.

• Like 1

I wish I had measured across the bolt holes on my 74 kingpin frame and compared it to the 78 ballpoint frame to see if there is a difference while I had the motor out of the 74. But hindsight is 20/20. If there is a difference it might help to solve future problems juggling motor mounts. I also wish I had checked to see if there was a width difference between the L18 and L20b, but I was just busy trying to get my truck back on the road.

• Like 1

Found some l20b mount is my parts bin. 

l20b mounts: Roughly 1.9"

L16 mounts: Roughly 1.5"

Edit: these are height measurements. 

Edit 2: turns out the mounts i had arnt l16 mounts as i just ordered some off rockauto. They ended up being the same height as the l20b mounts. Im thinking they might have been 520 mounts. Next time I order parts ill get some 520 mounts and measure them, unless someone else has some lying around they can measure?

Edited by Moist Lightning
Correcting Info
  • Like 1