new here with a 620 'prerunner'

polo451

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

hey guys, been busy working for bmw , which sucks...

but good news i bought an axle !  actually the one with the TRD lsd came back on cl , so i jumped on it , and its in perfect shape , im pretty happy 

man that thing is heavy ! i didnt know a complete axle could weigh around 200 lbs ! 

now next step is finding time to go to a fabricator and upholstery shop 

• Like 1

yes you're right i will post more pics promise !  it's just that right now not much is happening since i work too far from my place. it should change soon.

it's from a 99 tacoma 4wd , the guy put a TRD lsd but then found an axle with the e-locker so he switched 

i will verify but online it says the it's 60.75" wide , which is , yes, a lot wider but i plan on putting rivet overfenders , maybe , and i love the R/C car look 

• Like 1

Ok, I was wondering what is was out of. Since you said factory LSD, I assumed it was the Tacoma axle with the 8.4" diff. Not a bad diff, but the side shims on the carrier make them hard to work on.

And I'm glad you are aware that it is plenty wider than your stock setup. It would suck to find that out later. With the right wheel and tire package, it will look very cool.

ok i'll post pictures this weekend ..

i have a question since i now have my new axle : 

the SR20 gearbox is 5 speed and the gearing looks pretty low, and i have big mud tires , around 30" tall , so i need to re-gear 

i know the stock is 4.375 

the tacoma one i have is 4.10

should i go 4.88 or 5.29 ?  

i would say 5.29 but i don't know how big of a difference it makes , but i need to go uphill ! 

right now i never even used the 5th gear on the highway ! 

thanks guys 

Speaking in terms of engine RPM, 30's and 4.10's are about the same as 35's and 5.29's.

But...

This truck is L powered? I'd gear up. It's going to be used in the sand and off road? I'd gear up even more. You know that eventually you'll go to a bigger tire (are 30's really enough for the sand?), so plan ahead on that.

I'd hate to steer you in the wrong direction (not knowing a ton about Datsun prerunners...) but I would bet that 4.56 or 4.88 would be good for what you want.

• Like 1

Speaking in terms of engine RPM, 30's and 4.10's are about the same as 35's and 5.29's.

But...

This truck is L powered? I'd gear up. It's going to be used in the sand and off road? I'd gear up even more. You know that eventually you'll go to a bigger tire (are 30's really enough for the sand?), so plan ahead on that.

I'd hate to steer you in the wrong direction (not knowing a ton about Datsun prerunners...) but I would bet that 4.56 or 4.88 would be good for what you want.

exactly , but all this is in theory , and right now , unless my stock axle has been regeared, it drives really really long , i Have a SR20det , with the 5 gearbox probably from the same engine or KA 

i don't even use 5th gear on the highway ! i could drive 70 in 4th and be fine ... 

so there must be something wrong cause it doesn't feel like a 4.375 gearing right now 

that's why i think 4.88 at least or even the 5.29 if i go bigger tires ... 

im planning to see a fabricator soon to mount the new axle 

• Like 3

yep i guess ill try, but after driving it today it really needs higher gears...

also ive been to a upholstery shop, where the guy has a friend that should get me a stock bench, but he never calls back..

it seems nobody has a bench, i cant find one, even in bad shape ! 

oh and because of my custom battery box , i killed my battery.... nice

• Like 3

yep i vented it , but you're right maybe a kill switch would be a good idea .. if you have a link to one i can buy let me know thatd be great ! 

i saw the fabricator for the prerunner suspension and he's ready to start in a few weeks , i just have to put down a bunch of cash ... big decision ...

about the bench , I CAN'T FIND ONE !!! and the shops didn't neither ....

so if any of you have just a frame , even in bad shape , i'll take it !  

please let me know if you guys see one , thanks !!!!

• Like 1

This switch has a 300 amp continuous rating - https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mor-74102/overview/and it's only $65. You can get a cheaper one at your auto parts store, but generally, those are only rated at 20 amps.

Can't wait to see what the fabricator comes up with. Who are you bringing it to?

• Like 2

Forgot about the SR, those transmissions have some long legs. With that amount of power though, I would still try the 4:10 first and then re-gear if needed. 

Are you going with I-Beam or A-arm front suspension?  4-link rear? 

• Like 1

yes the SR has long legs !  we'll see what the fabricators thinks when he tried it 

the shop is link motorsport in redondo beach , the guy designs in CAD the suspension parts and welds , total custom 

it's not gonna be a crazy setup with super long travel since the budjet would reach the price of a raptor...

im going with mid travel , rear leafs but all with proper struts , something street drivable and that can handle some small bumps off road with good speed 

all this is already more than the price of the truck ! 

what about my bench , anyone know where i can find one ???? 

• Like 2

Look in 90's toyotas and mazdas for a bench. You are likely to be looking for a stock one for a while as they always get tossed in favor of buckets. 

I hope to see lot's of pics of the fab work :cool: 

• Like 2

hi guys , so about the bench i've been to the salvage yard , measured and actually with the SR20 gearbox shifter being so far back , every bench i tried didnt fit 

so back to the drawing board i'm looking for vintage seats ...  but its either super expensive or ebay crap ...

• Like 1