74 710 coupe, yard find...

jp510

So i found this car a while back and finally started in on it. Wanted to share some pics (a little at a time:) and bounce some ideas off anyone inclined to share input. Its been a while since ive posted on here, but always remembered datsunmike being a huge help!

I hope im doing this right... (from my phone)

0423171124a.jpg

Goals; 1st things first

Need more lowr, & more stop (thinking zx strut swap)...

Need a 3rd pedal (and 2 more gears)...

Need more rubber where it meets the road...

Thats it for the summer, maybe more air/fuel from there, just working on rebuilding the stock carb again (i know, i know) for now.

Questions are,what pedal assemblies would work with a 5spd swap?

And

What can i use the zx springs on the strut swap, or is there a better way to go?

Thanks in advance. Cheers!

• Like 3
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Couple things i left out... This car is 100% original, it was sitting over 10years before i got to it, im missing drivers side lower tail light lense(prev owner "lost it", dont ask). I NEED one!! It has an a87 head, auto trans, and its complete!

Mawr oic

0414171026a.jpg

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Right on! Thanks man! Just working on getting in cleaned up while waiting on a carburetor and adapter, got a tail light on the way too :) cleaned the shit out of the gas tank and bought some new fuel lines, so, should be up and rolling under its own power soon enough! will post some more pics later when finished cleaning :)

Man, I hope I can find a neat car up for grabs one of these days...that's awesome!

How is gas tank cleaning done?

My 620 has been sitting for 4 years and was filling the fuel filter with rust even back then, before the boy spun a rod brg for me...

I am reassembling the L16 now...and would like to do that if possible.

• Like 1

Cleaned out a couple handfuls of sludged up gunky globs of fuel, first ran a bunch of water through it w a garden hose, threw a bunch of nuts n bolts in there and sloshed em around to knock some rust loose, used about 3 bucks in quarters worth of degreaser from the self car wash while intermittently pressure washing, then took it to work and pressure washed it like crazy, stuffed the garden hose back in the tank for the good part of an hour until I couldn't see in particles in my hand, (all ideas I gathered from ratsun) took the better part of my day. Still has some rust dust in the bottom, gonna vacuum it out tomorrow. Must say, the pressure washing the shit out of it gave me the biggest gain w least amt of effort. If I did it all over again I would start w the pressure washer, then nuts n bolts slosh, degreaser(maybe before nuts n bolts), pressure wash again, and a thorough rinse (very important). Good luck!

As far as the yard finding, I was driving around w my bro in law "Datsun hunting" (yes, that's a real thing!) he spied it sitting in some dudes yard. Drove by about seven hundred and ten times before I saw him tinkering about outside (a few strange things kept me from entering the gate w o permission, ie doll heads placed in plain sight) after chatting it up for a couple hours I asked about the car, he told me the car was not for sale (owned by his bro who had "gone away for a while"). He told me some kids tried to offer 800 for it last year and got a flat hell no! I told him tell his bro I'd pay 1000 or 1100 or whatever it took and left my number. He called 3 months later and said they wanted to sell me the car. Jackpot. The first Datsun I bought (510 2dr) wasn't for sale until the fourth time I asked for it, cut it out of some old lady's yard 200 dollars later. Don't give up, always be hunting.

Was searching for a grip trying to find some wheels, stumbled across croooober, anyonyone bought wheels from that sight?

Prices seemed too good to be true! I was thinking on going that route if i cant talk my parents neighbor out of the libres on his z car thats been sitting in the same spot for 10+ years.

Pedals from the 4 speed option 710 will work.

If planning to run a 620/280z or zx or 810-/Maxima or '80 2wd 720 5 speed all (well not ALL) you need do is use your automatic driveshaft. I have an automatic driveshaft behind a zx 5 speed. 

• Like 1

Pedals from the 4 speed option 710 will work.

If planning to run a 620/280z or zx or 810-/Maxima or '80 2wd 720 5 speed all (well not ALL) you need do is use your automatic driveshaft. I have an automatic driveshaft behind a zx 5 speed. 

Right on man! Thanks! From what I can gather, the 710 5spd swap is very similar to the 510 (DatsSully mentioned above that he used a 620 pedal assembly, much more prevalent) , I like the being able to use the existing drive-line. From what i saw digging through prev posts, a clutch master and slave, matching clutch and flywheel, and some modifying of the trans mount are in my near future. Let the hunting begin!

Clutch slave with push rod to connect it to the pedal. If you find a pedal box get everything including the hydraulic hard line to the flex line to the clutch slave. You will need the pushrod between the slave and the clutch arm. The 5 speed may have a clutch slave on it as well as the clutch arm and dust boot and the shifter and dust boot also. If not you will need to source these also. Now you have an L18 engine so you will need a 5 bolt 200mm L series flywheel to fit it with a matching 200mm clutch disc and pressure play assembly and mounting bolts. In addition you will need a release bearing and a release bearing collar that hold it matched to the 200mm clutch. You cannot use any release collar that comes with the transmission as it may be matched to a different size clutch assy. Next, a pilot bushing for the end of the crankshaft. 

Clutch slave with push rod to connect it to the pedal. If you find a pedal box get everything including the hydraulic hard line to the flex line to the clutch slave. You will need the pushrod between the slave and the clutch arm. The 5 speed may have a clutch slave on it as well as the clutch arm and dust boot and the shifter and dust boot also. If not you will need to source these also. Now you have an L18 engine so you will need a 5 bolt 200mm L series flywheel to fit it with a matching 200mm clutch disc and pressure play assembly and mounting bolts. In addition you will need a release bearing and a release bearing collar that hold it matched to the 200mm clutch. You cannot use any release collar that comes with the transmission as it may be matched to a different size clutch assy. Next, a pilot bushing for the end of the crankshaft.

You earned a half rack on that one! Iou. Thanks!

Trouble-shooting fuel line sludge atm. Im going to try rerunning carb cleaner through with a fish tank pump (my dads idea, gotta give credit) I'll post pics and results.

Here is what the fuel filter looked liked before i pulled the tank

0527171955.jpg

0527171956a.jpg

Ewww, stinky.

0527171956b.jpg

Got my weber in the mail last night!

Got a new fuel pump too. Flushing, cleaning, and replacing everything that touched this nasty stuff has been an experience so far. Im fairly confident i can have it roadworthy in time for canby, if i can get tires figured out by then... ill post a couple ideas for that soon.

Scrapped the fishtank pump idea over worries of burning up the motor, opted for 200-400lbs of pressure behind carb cleaner, took a few minutes under pressure. Take some safety measures with the fittings...

0529171940a.jpg

0529171940b.jpg

0529171940d.jpg

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...