280z fluid types and specs??

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The maker is up to you. Any brand name will do.

Transmission (assuming 4 or 5 speed) 80w90 GL4 2liters. Automatic 5.5 liters DEXRON ATF

Differential 80w90 GL5 1 liter

Steering box (manual) 1/4 liter 80w90 GL4 Power steering 1.4 liters DEXRON ATF

Coolant 10.5 aprox. 50% antifreeze mix

Brake fluid DOT 3

Using GL4 in the manual trans is very important. Otherwise use a fluid that specifies "yellow metal safe". Ignore the guy at the parts store when he says gl5 will be fine. He is wrong.

• Like 1

I remember my 280ZX (different car than 280Z) called for automatic trans fluid to be used in the power steering pump.

I think the 280Z is safe as it would have a manual steering rack anyway.

I used Castrol 10/30 standard oil in an L28 non-turbo for over 100,000 miles of driving. I would not use special high mileage oil but I did put in oil additive for extra viscosity. Seemed to work fine as the engine was still in really good shape and had great compression at 250,000 miles when I pulled it out just to do a turbo swap.

I'm running 15W40 RotellaT with higher ZDDP levels than the stuff they make today. It's closer to what they used to make for out flat tappet engines. I don't trust the crap they pass off today.

• Like 1

You'll have to research this ZDDP controversy. It was used in the past when ALL engines had tappets (or rocker arms or cam followers) like the L series. It prevented scuffing of the cam or the tappets. There isn't a car made today that doesn't have roller rockers or something else and it doesn't need the anti scuff additives. So oil makers have slowly, year by year reduced the levels of zinc (ZDDP) in their formulas as it clogs the new cats. They claim that the new oils still have enough protection. They claim that way more ZDDP was used in the past than was necessary and the new lower levels are fine.

You can buy ZDDP as an additive.

I've done the research and I will continue to run my Datsuns on the same or higher ZDDP levels it was designed to run on. Can't afford to grind up my cam or rockers on someone else's say so. It's my engine. For me it's Chevron Dello 400 or Shell Rotella T. It's a 'light' diesel oil, higher in detergents and only comes in 15w40 I believe. 

• Like 1