Falling on its face.

Ive got a 1966 datsun roadster with a 73 L18 swap in it. Last year i had it driving pretty nice. Good power and acceleration. Its got a knockoff chinese hitachi on it btw. Towards the end of last fall it started to lack power and to get it home i had to choke it out. I am trying to get it right this spring. I adjusted valve lashes. Check and adjusted points. Double checked timing and made proper adjustments. It will idle really nice no misses that i can hear but under load it falls on its face and wants to die. Once i let off the gas it idles fine. I thought stuck float which a little tapping on the carb did change the idle, but same results driving. Fuel filter is clear. Tried a different coil which seemed to improve its ability to rev without stalling out but when i drive it stalls out. Do you think all these issues stem from the cheap carb?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Primary jet part clogged and running lean. You can confirm by taking for a long drive and then pulling the plugs. The whiter they are the leaner it's running. They should be light brown or tan.

I did a jet clean with the carb on the car using carb cleaner and it definitely helped, but the acceleration is still inconsistent. Hesitating and such. When i floor it and get the second barrel going it will accelerate nicley. Looks like i will need to pull the carb and do a thorough cleaning.

• 3 weeks later...

Still not having luck. I pulled the carb off the car and did a deeper clean of the jets. Sprayed through them with cleaner and some wire. I also pulled the plugs and they were black. I cleaned them up as well. It runs a little better but now i have to floor it to get consistent acceleration. It otherwise stutters and feels like it is missing. Not sure what to try next.

Its a knock off hitachi and yea the timing looks good to me. Ive adjusted the csrb every which way but still having issues. The car has idled alot while testing. Could that blacken the plugs. Could fuel be the issue? The fuel in the tank is from last fall. It sat all winter so its about7 months old at least.

• 2 weeks later...

Never would have guessed it and I feel silly. Turns out the issue was a wire off the alternator had come off. The wiring is a bit of a mess in the car and I didn't notice it at first. Crazy. I hooked it up fired up the engine and let it warm and before you know it I was cruising down the road with all the power she should have.