New addition to the family! 73 610 Wagon

Well, my wife has wanted one of these cars ever since she saw one in one of her favorite Slasher films of all times "He Knows You're Alone".  So we made a trip of it, left Friday at 4:45 AM, drove to Florida to pick it up, a blown Uhaul trailer tire and several stops to nap later we got home at 4:30AM Saturday morning.  It actually cranks right up and seems to drive OK...but it doesn't stop. So for now I'll be replacing a lot of vacuum hoses, or installing them since a few are rotted completely off, fixing the brakes, replacing some gaskets here and there, stopping what little rust there is from spreading and possibly getting her a weber carb. I really like the community here on Ratsun, so when I get back to my project car, I'll do the thread here. My car is an 83 280zx turbo that's getting a VQ37 transplant. 

34386015005_373d3cb3fb_z.jpgIMG_20170430_115105 by [/url], on Flickr

34344757276_42236b2329_z.jpgIMG_20170430_115027 by , on Flickr

• Like 3
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, there are two emblems in the glove box, one is the "Datsun 610" and it's broken, the other just says "Datsun" and is in great shape. There's also a roll of pin striping in the glove box. Rust is minimal and for the paint being original, it's in great shape. 

• Like 1

'74s were L20B engines, yours was (or should be) the only 610 year the L18 was used. Rather unique. Never cared for the 610/710 bucket seats, they're murder on your back. Great looking Bluebird goon!

Thanks man. I haven't sat in it for more than a few minutes to crank it and move it, though I'm sure my big ass will start hurting after a while. She's tiny so I doubt she will be bothered by them. I'll let her decide what she wants to do as far as performance and styling, but I'd like to keep the L18 in it. It only has 53k miles. I'll try to get more images of the interior, it blew my mind how nice it is inside, not a single crack in the dash, factory air conditioning (I'm sure it doesn't work, the belt is off the compressor) and nice and clean door panels. The seats have small tears in them, but nothing I can't patch.  

Wait, your wife is into slasher movies AND Datsuns? Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

Nice goon by the way.

Say, that Ute next to it, can you post us up an oic in this thread. :thumbup:

• Like 1

That ute is pretty cool, I like it.

Bad eyesight...that is hilarious.  I have used that line before.

• Like 1

Well, I started working on the brakes yesterday by replacing the booster and master cylinder. The master was leaking and the booster looked llike complete garbage, it may not be bad but I figured replacing it couldn't hurt anything (wallet aside). I found a freaking old acorn in the vacuum line going to the booster.....how in the hell? 

Before:

34509776425_d043aebde9_z.jpgIMG_20170506_164908 

After:

34509775105_2ca5ceee7f_z.jpgIMG_20170506_171324 

All in all a fairly easy endeavor. I did bleed everything using the install directions from rockauto and going off past experience, there probably is still air in the lines. I'm a little concerned though, pushing the pedal completely to the floor still doesn't seem to engage the brakes. I didn't see any leaks, I'll be doing the pads today, hopefully bleeding from the brakes themselves will help.  The reservoirs on the old master had mud inside them, Im sure some of that made it to the lines. 

• Like 1

I'm considering getting this brake line "kit" from ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Complete-brake-line-kit-made-for-Nissan-or-Datsun-1970-1971-1972-1973-1996-/382067588734?_trksid=p2385738.m2548.l4275

Unless someone knows a better place to get lines from.  I doubt these are preformed, but if they already have the ends and are at least the right length, I can handle that part. I'm on the fence about it, I guess I'll just see how the rest of this brake job goes. Opinions welcome, in the mean time I'll continue to use the search button. 

• 1 month later...

Been a very busy last few weeks, now I'm working shift work, so very little progress. So, none of those "kits" supposedly will work with the 610. Though I'm sure they probably would, I'd rather not waste my money in case. Anyone have any recommendations for where to get replacement brake lines, rotors and/or remanufactured front calipers? It got too dark before I could finish, but I wasn't able to compress the front caliper enough so that it will fit back over the rotor, even with the bleeder screw removed. I PB blasted the hell out of it, I guess we shall see. If I can't find anything for the brake lines I'll just buy the tools and learn how to make new lines, something I should learn anyway. 

if you really read what the kit it giving you it's just a bunch of random straight lines and fittings.

You'll still have to bend everything and it's seem like you will end up with a bunch of union joints...

The long coils aren't to bad to uncoil if you wanna learn how to flare..

I used that to connect my master to rear on my 521 in one piece an just bought some smaller straight pieces like that kit for the connections between the tees and calipers...

I would measure your vehicle and see what you actually need..

The kit could be good but you can get flared lengths at the local autoparts store so why buy the extra..

Also do you have all metric or sae fittings?

I did a disk upgrade so some of mine now are metric and some still sae...

I had no idea you could get flared lines at auto stores, thanks for that. I'll be checking that out, I've gotten in the habit of not bothering with Autozone or Advanced since most times they don't have the part or charge too much. I only need the two rears. I replaced the single flexible line in the rear and the fronts are flex too. So far everything has been metric. I'll be getting back to it this weekend, earlier if it doesn't rain Thursday and Friday. I might as well get all the tools for running these lines anyway since I'm completely redoing my ZX. Having done conduit and swage-lock, I don't mind bending tubing, I just didn't want the first flared lines I ever made to be the brake lines on my wife's car....well, not while we are happily married.