69 roadster - Project Toadstool

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't really touched this car since the last post.  She just sits waiting her turn.

2 things have happened.

1) I bought a parts car.  I bought a Miata.  Well, I bought most of a miata.  Ok, I bought some of a miata.  Fine. I bought a bit of a miata.

large.20200828_195512.jpg.95913281a4fd19

large.20200828_195500.jpg.b4bb9bd322b5c7

Braking and suspension is all complete, which is all I really wanted.  Paid $100 for it plus $30 for a steering rack later on.  I've sold about $60 worth of parts I didn't need, so my investment is minimal.

Intent is to swap the Miata subframes onto the Roadster frame.  I have absolutely no idea if I am going to narrow the subframes, or instead flare the Roadster.  If I flare the car it will be in metal somehow or other not yet determined.  I've found a lot of really good information on narrowed miata stuff over at Grassroots Motorsports as well.  Both options are open to me.  No Idea which will be chosen.

Either way, the stock powertrain stays in place.  I want a 2 liter forklift block and a 5 speed, but those are still just upgrades to the current stuff.

And then I renamed the roadster.  Even though the Miata is also a roadster, it doesn't go by that name, so my brain was tumbling names about for it.  I've just been calling it Audrey, as in My Fair Lady..  That was never a great name, as I've never really gotten in to naming my cars with people names.  I ended up thinking Miata-Roadster - Miatroadster - Miatoadster - Toaster!  So I was going to call it the Toaster.  I liked that for some reason.  But just now, literally as I was typing out the convolutions my brain went through, I think I found a better name.  Toadstool.  Derived from the name combo, but also better applicable to the car I think.  Its small, and rounded, so the name seems fitting.  Currently its also kind of spotted due to patina and damage 😄.  

So Toadstool it is.

And since this is a new page with no pics of the car, I don't want anyone paranoid I'm damaging a healthy beauty by miata-ing her out.

large.20170423_120202.jpg.12de4c7b2942db

• Like 4
  • Lockleaf changed the title to 69 roadster - Project Toadstool
  • 1 month later...
On 1/5/2018 at 10:39 PM, Lockleaf said:

I bought a bumper for an MG Midget locally for $20 to see if it would fit. Holy crap it fits perfectly. And it doesn't have the ugly license plate dent like the stock roadster bumper does.

I'm actually surprised i couldn't find anyone who had done this before when i searched. 

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of MG stuff fits on a Roadster. And I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of Roadster guys would turn their noses up at using MG parts...  😄