72 620 barn find

jacobbell69

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/27/2018 at 6:59 AM, jacobbell69 said:

Well I got the transmission out, was a huge pain to fit between the exhaust and passenger side torsion bar. So to reinstall, I am going to pull the engine as I think this new long tail is going to be even more difficult to fit from underneath. Wish me luck! Any suggestions for what kind of trans fluid I should run in my new 5 speed?

71VILa1BjBL._SL1200_.jpg

The proper oil is 80w90 GL-4 gear oil. NEVER use GL-5 in a Nissan transmission only in the differentiaal. This stuff? Is ..... ok

BTW.

zKod6Kn.jpg

The rear brake shoe is on upside down or you have two leading shoes on the one side. I know you now have disc on the front but better check the rears. Mismatched leading and trailing shoes can cause one side to lock up before the other or pull to one side.

• Like 2
On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 11:46 PM, jacobbell69 said:

they are from the cali step side bed conversions of like the 80s i think? i will have pics when they arrive, however I am getting nervous as tracking hasn't updated since the 2nd. it was shipped greyhound so i'm not sure if that's usual for them. Going from WA to KY. We will see what they have to say tomorrow when I call.

Getting the truck moved into the garage tomorrow to address shifter and rust.

Side note, I finally got my new 79 parts truck home last week. Has a pretty darn good condition dash in it! No cracks and only one small place where it seems someone hit the dash with something around the glove box.

wBfkATK.jpg

I also found one in a local pick and jerk so I went and got some goodies including a mint bench seat! It was a 75' 4 speed.

1K4OBu1.jpg

Nm3q7X1.jpg

Scored all you see for right at $100.

Man I wish I came across as many 620s that you have for parts and also to find one in the junkyard.  I can't find anything close to Maryland.  I was lucky to find my 78 short bed a few weeks ago about an hour from me in PA, so I'm happy about that.  Finding body parts I will need will be a problem though.  Looks like I'll need a hood, cowl, and a probably a bed.  I've enjoyed reading your build since I'll most likely be doing a lot of the same things since mine was sitting for at least 7 years.  Keep up the good work!

• Like 1
On 9/29/2018 at 7:07 PM, datzenmike said:

71VILa1BjBL._SL1200_.jpg

The proper oil is 80w90 GL-4 gear oil. NEVER use GL-5 in a Nissan transmission only in the differentiaal. This stuff? Is ..... ok

BTW.

zKod6Kn.jpg

The rear brake shoe is on upside down or you have two leading shoes on the one side. I know you now have disc on the front but better check the rears. Mismatched leading and trailing shoes can cause one side to lock up before the other or pull to one side.

was my first go at drum brakes, ever lol. i matched them up to what came out. so i guess the previous guy to change them done them wrong. good eye tho! i asked in the FB group and everyone also suggested the sta-lube. any other suggestion? i havent put it in the trans yet.

2 hours ago, JohnnyBlaze said:

Man I wish I came across as many 620s that you have for parts and also to find one in the junkyard.  I can't find anything close to Maryland.  I was lucky to find my 78 short bed a few weeks ago about an hour from me in PA, so I'm happy about that.  Finding body parts I will need will be a problem though.  Looks like I'll need a hood, cowl, and a probably a bed.  I've enjoyed reading your build since I'll most likely be doing a lot of the same things since mine was sitting for at least 7 years.  Keep up the good work!

it's funny, for years i saw 0 datsuns on craigslist. and within a year i've accumulated 7, and found the one in a junkyard. check your FB marketplace!

• Like 1

well I installed new rear main, clutch, pilot bearing. went to install new throughout bearing and saw it needed to be pressed on. the bearing that came with my clutch kit matched the bearing on my early 4 speed but did not match the one on the 5 speed. i ended up ordering a new throughout bearing that included the collar so i didn't need to get it pressed on. also noticed i did not have the clutch fork for the 5 speed, according to part numbers they are different between the 5 speeds and the early 4 speeds. i could rob the fork out of a spare 4 speed out of a 79 I have, but oreillys has them in stock for $31 so i will go with new. sucks i didn't think to get a fork boot.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, jacobbell69 said:

was my first go at drum brakes, ever lol. i matched them up to what came out. so i guess the previous guy to change them done them wrong. good eye tho! i asked in the FB group and everyone also suggested the sta-lube. any other suggestion? i havent put it in the trans yet.

it's funny, for years i saw 0 datsuns on craigslist. and within a year i've accumulated 7, and found the one in a junkyard. check your FB marketplace!

FB marketplace is actually how I found mine.  I keep searching there and craigslist multiple times a day.  I know there has to be some around me, but they are probably just rotting into a field somewhere and the owner isn't thinking to list them for sale. I'm sure I'll come across some eventually.  I just don't want to buy a parts truck on the west coast and pay 3 times as much to have it delivered.

• Like 1

engine and trans are in, buttoning them up Thursday. hopefully will install the dually fenders then, ran out of time yesterday. ended up calling my older brother for some assistance mating the trans and dropping it in. i was having a hell of a time doing it solo. because the new trans was longer i had to disconnect my center link to be able to drop the engine in, which is something i never read anyone else had to do. luckily i replaced it last year so it was easy to disconnect. hopefully i'll be ready for IA by Oct 20th.

yeah, would be hard to steer without it haha! i have a late model cross member already. after i was cleaning up last night i saw the speedo is on the opposite side. only remedy is to get a late model speedo cable? that would suck, not risking my dash bezel for the speedo lol.

i think i maybe able to get the old speedo cable out without removing the dash bezel.

anywho, found out i needed the adapter that attaches the crossmember to the trans, luckily had one on a spare 4 speed out of a 79.

Then i went to change the carrier bearing and beating on the shaft with the nut on cause the threads to mess up, got the nut off and then grinded the bad threads off. i need a new nut if anyone has one off a later front portion of the driveshaft. early driveshaft nuts are different, i checked. almost done buttoning up my engine and trans! it's really coming together, started putting on my dually fenders as well. still need some work, this is only temporary. i will have my body guy make them contour to the bed and look a lot better. i just need to make this show on the 20th this month.

AI91BcF.jpg

fe0CLk3.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well I made it to the show! Truck drove great, really digging this 5 speed. I think I may put 2" spacers on the front rims so they're flush with the fenders. Looks a bit odd looking from the front not being able to see the rims at all. Considering my winter project to be the KA swap, however considering getting my 320 running. Just don't know yet. I actually bought another set of dually fenders that are actually curved to fit the bed and are a bit smaller, also no tail light holes along with having a gas cap cover. I had to fill the tank before putting these fenders on lol. I plan to paint the new fenders, and have a buddy airbrush rust on so it looks the same as the truck. I also made it in the IA Fall meet video, I'm the last 20 seconds! https://youtu.be/CFzHpRJl2QA

At IA I met another guy with a 620, he is on the FB group. I took some pics from this weekend here they are.

5dOSb1r.jpg

h5RdkXv.jpg

wyB2ZUA.jpg

u0jL7MB.jpg

LsAi8wO.jpg

cnyLTHE.jpg

lGzhHTY.jpg

NbDcXJd.jpg

kzxkhv6.jpg

2p8SH4a.jpg

20bmj2p.jpg

• Like 1
  • 6 months later...

Been a while since I updated. Didn't do much this winter, it was very harsh this year so I didn't have much motivation to wrench in 20 degree weather.

I have mounted the other set of dually fenders. I had to mount them a bit higher so it doesn't lay flush on the body lines. However that was my only option as I would have had to cut the fenders up a few inches so the tire didn't hit. Or I could have raised the truck, which wasn't ideal for me. Still very happy with the results and I like the look of these fenders a lot more. I painted them yesterday. I didn't bother fixing the damage to the fenders or bondo where some repairs have previously been made. It would have just looked to nice for the truck. It matches the patina better that way, imo. You can't see the damage from a few feet away in the photos. I will get some more pics but here are some. Sanded with 320 and shot a few coats of primer and then the paint. it's the same jeep paint(PW1) that i used for the roof repair, it matched the roof pretty well. it doesn't match as well on the fenders since it's a larger area, but it's not that bad.

Also forgot to mention I scored some NOS Datsun1600 fender emblems over the winter from Mexico for $75. Still was in the Nissan box. They're way to nice for my truck but they look way better than the "Datsun" emblems I had before.

BizS7nA.jpg

KUOpCCW.jpg

cf7ZVQc.jpg

U5KTMnl.jpg

Edited by jacobbell69
  • Like 2
  • 2 months later...

BDrl0I2.png

I havent kept up much with every little detail of change like I used to. But I went to IA in Nashville this past weekend. Truck's running really good this summer after a carb adjustment. Seems happier with Valvoline over the Pennzoil I had in it previously. Put spacers on the front so they are flush with the fenders and they look a lot better. Going to have to cut a hole in the bed to fill up fuel. No way to make the one on the dually fender work. I found some center caps for the front and hub caps for the rear, really digging them. Thinking this winter about a dump bed, just throwing out ideas. Still on look out for diesel 720 to use the drive train. I still have the KA I could use, but the L16 is going strong right now.

ZDs8Vxk.jpg

U2t0SaW.jpg

xmtKBBd.jpg

• Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...

Found a 76 4 speed short bed in a junkyard a couple hours away, scored some inner window trim. mine had rotted away and the rubber was completely gone. they're almost $100 for aftermarkets on ebay. I stripped the truck, someone got to it before me though and took the mirrors, grille(had all trim rings) :( and the tailgate. This truck should have been saved and it's terrible it ended up here. Battery tray was solid and floorboards were too besides one small hole in passenger side. Gonna post some pics, if you see anything you want lmk! Truck is in Lebanon, TN at Express Pull n Save if anyone wants to check it out themselves.

Also yes that's an original undamaged floor mat and what looks to be an AMCO center console!

Acldb6R.jpg

0Nvt44x.jpg

dYhBPkq.jpg

1XDpgwo.jpg

VGRKg4y.jpg

xKeUwTO.jpg

• Like 4
  • 2 months later...