72 620 barn find

jacobbell69

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You could buy my 79 620 project and get it shipped for half the cost of fixing your body.

Yes,it's a shameless plug.

i'm holding off on much body work until i can find another cab, but not ready for a full teardown yet. want to drive and enjoy the truck for now!

poweder coats those wheels white. Or sparay can it white. will look better.

I like stock rims painted white with hubcaps and small white wall. truck slammed down

I like the pantina of this truck . keep it that way looks cool

i have my old set of wheels in case i want to go for the stock look again! trying to collect hub caps slowly. i plan to keep the patina as long as i can. also stocking craigslist for some nismo rays, maybe i'll get lucky lol!

• Like 1

Find another cab.???

Just drive it into the ground, save your money. Thats what Im going to do with mine. However its been 17yrs and its not in the ground yet. Its rusting but still cheap to maintain and run

guess it depends what day you ask me, sometimes i feel like doing a cab off resto. other times i say i'm not gonna put anymore money into it lol. i go back and forth between the two, doesn't help i have two 520's now i want to bring home and work on.

• Like 1

Just drive it and upgrade the ignition and other stuff as you go. Youll find out youll get thumbs up with this truck w/o spending lots of money.

grease the steering and king pins and just replace what is needed. Cab off restrotation is alot more work than people think and the truck wll not be worth alot of money as one alwasy thinks it will get. Thats if it even get finnished.

buff out the paint and rust and drive it. Buy spare slave brake and clutch master cylinders and spare distributors and should last a long time.

I been on here a long time the closer one keeps this stock( a new datsun owner ) the longer they will have it and care for it. The new people with ground up resto. are not on here 6 monthes from now and never seen again. Maybe their vehicle in pcs on Craigslist.

• Like 2

Yup I can attest to that... I would never choose to do that again...

The hardest thing is staying on track and motivated.. never mind the cash spent.. its just me doing all the work, while working and helping to raise my son... I'm at the 4 yr mark on my 521 ground up restoration, should be driveable come spring and I think I will still not be completely done....

Since you seem to have multiple, keep atleast one driveable at all times... then you always have motivation while your working on the other... the best motivation I have right now is being able to drive mine even it is just circling the house.....

• Like 1

Yup I can attest to that... I would never choose to do that again...

The hardest thing is staying on track and motivated.. never mind the cash spent.. its just me doing all the work, while working and helping to raise my son... I'm at the 4 yr mark on my 521 ground up restoration, should be driveable come spring and I think I will still not be completely done....

Since you seem to have multiple, keep atleast one driveable at all times... then you always have motivation while your working on the other... the best motivation I have right now is being able to drive mine even it is just circling the house.....

i know what you mean, i got frustrated even one month into getting this up and running because i was so excited to drive it and i couldn't. 

Just drive it and upgrade the ignition and other stuff as you go. Youll find out youll get thumbs up with this truck w/o spending lots of money.

grease the steering and king pins and just replace what is needed. Cab off restrotation is alot more work than people think and the truck wll not be worth alot of money as one alwasy thinks it will get. Thats if it even get finnished.

buff out the paint and rust and drive it. Buy spare slave brake and clutch master cylinders and spare distributors and should last a long time.

I been on here a long time the closer one keeps this stock( a new datsun owner ) the longer they will have it and care for it. The new people with ground up resto. are not on here 6 monthes from now and never seen again. Maybe their vehicle in pcs on Craigslist.

i have acquired several boxes of spare parts in case, hopeful i won't ever have to use them lol.

Just got the alignment and am about to go pick it up. thought i'd share a story about this morning.

Went to take my truck to get an alignment this morning and realized I lost my key since I pulled it in the garage to work on it this past weekend. It was a new key, had it made since I bought this truck and the original owner had lost the original. For whatever reason I looked in the ashtray, where I had looked in many times before over the past few months for random reasons. And I found this out of no where, what looks to be the actual original key on a nice D keychain. The Datsun gods have smiled upon me today 1f604.png1f604.png1f604.png

JOXegWW.jpg

• Like 1

YOull use the spares believe me

Oh as for 520 and 521  all body/suspension/some brake parts are in SAE sizes and the 620 went to all metric. REMEMBER THIS!!!!!!!

of coarse motor is all metric on both

like one time I lost a radiator bolt . so i got one from a 510 and wonder why it was hard to get in. Duh!!!!!!!!!! 521 is SAE  5/15x24 threads. then I needed longer ones when installing a Chammpion Radiator with 1/4 spacers

but since your driving the 620 its all metric. Just becare grabbing 520/521 body parts

• Like 1

YOull use the spares believe me

Oh as for 520 and 521  all body/suspension/some brake parts are in SAE sizes and the 620 went to all metric. REMEMBER THIS!!!!!!!

of coarse motor is all metric on both

like one time I lost a radiator bolt . so i got one from a 510 and wonder why it was hard to get in. Duh!!!!!!!!!! 521 is SAE  5/15x24 threads. then I needed longer ones when installing a Chammpion Radiator with 1/4 spacers

but since your driving the 620 its all metric. Just becare grabbing 520/521 body parts

yeah i saw when ordering disc conversion brackets it warned that 521/520 are standard. thinking i'll keep this l20b from my 79 parts truck to put in one of the 520's. cheaper and maybe easier than fitting and sourcing a ka24. and let's be honest if i find a smoking deal on a ka24 i'll prob put it in my 620 since i'll have the disc brakes already lol.

• Like 1

guess it depends what day you ask me, sometimes i feel like doing a cab off resto. other times i say i'm not gonna put anymore money into it lol. i go back and forth between the two, doesn't help i have two 520's now i want to bring home and work on.

...this is when u don't make a decision.
  • Like 1

Concentrate on 1 vehicle. YOur not in Datsun plentiful area anyways.

Here in washington lots going to the dump so parts are still ez to get here, Kentucky is different

yeah gonna try and complete this one before i start on the 520's. i know, i want to visit to buy a bunch of shit :P that's why i bought my two parts trucks, they've been very helpful. also why i couldn't let the 520's go to the scraper, even though i knew it'd be a while before I got to them.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Some things have changed, found a 320. Need to sell my 520's.

Related links here if anyone is interested.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/73248-two-520s-that-need-some-tlc/

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/73247-64-datsun-320-field-find/

Currently waiting on my parts from beebani to do the disc breaks, time sure goes by slow when you are waiting for parts!! Also ordered some Datsun1600 fender emblems since mine were replaced years ago with later 'Datsun' fender emblems. I'll post them up when I get them in.

• 2 weeks later...

scored me a 5 speed for the truck today for $50!

8kKhJrw.jpg

came out of a 80' 720 2wd. from what i've read i'll need the trans tunnel from a later truck, front part of drive shaft from a later truck, and trans cross member from a later truck(i have that 79 parts truck so i can get everything off of it) anything else i'm missing? i assume i need to use the clutch for my l16 and not for the l20b that was previously mated to this trans?

was a 5 hour round trip but well worth it! shifter is super tight, my original 4 speed the shifter is very loose!

guy at the junker said they've had the transmission for 17 years sitting in the back of a building, and was going to be scraped in a few months.

this trans is 31 1/2 inches long so looks like i have the correct one. woot! picked up my 320 over the weekend. gonna wait to start on it once i get my 620 'finished' once it gets warm again. cold nights in the garage SUCK! next on the list is get the disc brakes done(got the beebani brackets in!) and get this 5 speed in and figure out why coolant is coming out of where the heater core hose connects to the block, saw it dripping when i was installing my 160 thermostat. was very cold so i didn't inspect further. hopefully it's an easy fix. new hose and clamp so not sure why it's leaking.