72 620 barn find

jacobbell69

i found a 72' 620 with a 1.6l 4 speed manual on craigslist from an old guy who's brother owned it since the late 70's. was parked back in 98-99 because it was having brakes issues, no one in the small city worked on imports he told me so they parked it in the barn. the master cylinder is empty so i'm hoping just a leak. i plan to get it running and drive it as it is. no body work besides cleaning it. at least for now. first things first is some tires so i can move it around to work on it. he had no key but i had a local company make me one for $7. the gas tank has some rust so a local company said they can boil it and patch for $60-120 depending on how bad it is. i'm going to try and turn the engine by hand soon. im going to try and rig a gas can to at least see if the engine is fine before dumping money into a gas tank just to found out i need a new motor. sadly i only have one hub cap for the original wheels. i plan on tinting the windows and lowering it a little and eventually getting some 15's with low pro tires. but that's getting ahead of myself lol. ANY SUGGESTIONS ON HOW TO GET RID OF THE SPIDER, WASP, AND DIRT DOBBER NESTS? The frame is covered in dirt from dirt dobber's but it seems to be solid. going to remove the bed and clean it up good eventually. The inside is covered in wasp nests and spiders. also need suggestions for new bench seat, what other vehicles fit with some tweaking? mine is trashed. also dash is cracked, but i dont mind at all.

here's some pics ive taken so far.

VHqUVXi.jpg

R1ahbRJ.jpg

eNZzR6J.jpg

qbGMpyQ.jpg

LRmj5z3.jpg

vfmCjcb.jpg

NAnLiMJ.jpg

7aSZbC9.jpg

Harold Kitchens Datsun was the old dealership in my town. I had to travel 2 hours to pick this truck up. I guess it's kind of fitting to bring it back where it came from lol.

• Like 3
  • Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Too bad you're not closer, I've got a tank from my 78' thats just sitting

i read the later models after 73 have the gas tank mounted differently and did not work without moficiation. if thats not true i can broaden my search in case this tank isnt repairable

Looks like a solid start. How are the floors?

havent ripped up the floor liner yet, to many spiders! threw a bug bomb in there an hour ago so ill check it out probably tomorrow.

side note, my new key fits both doors and the ignition! win

• Like 1

All 620's until something like 77 built trucks had bed mounted fuel tanks. After that they are frame mounted. So any bed mounted 620 tank will work for you without modifying anything. If you get a later tank it isn't that different and should only require minimal mods to mounting brackets . I think the later tanks just have more lines coming out for emission evaporator and carbon canister stuff

Nice score. I hope it cleans up good for you.

• Like 2

All 620's until something like 77 built trucks had bed mounted fuel tanks. After that they are frame mounted. So any bed mounted 620 tank will work for you without modifying anything. If you get a later tank it isn't that different and should only require minimal mods to mounting brackets . I think the later tanks just have more lines coming out for emission evaporator and carbon canister stuff

Nice score. I hope it cleans up good for you.

thanks for the info!!

• Like 1

running out of a gas can is easy if the motor cranks over by itself, fuel pump is driven by a lobe on the cam shaft so just drop a hose straight down from the fuel filter (should be on the passenger side of the bay and probably needs replaced at this point) into the can. i've done it myself and have even gone so far as to run a hose from where the stock hardline is attached by a hose to the gas tank, out the filler door and into a gas can in the bed of the truck so that i could drive it around. if you go with 15s you shouldn't need low profile tires, i run 16s on my little miss and she's got 55 series tires on her. 

nice looking start, welcome to the shit show brother

• Like 1

running out of a gas can is easy if the motor cranks over by itself, fuel pump is driven by a lobe on the cam shaft so just drop a hose straight down from the fuel filter (should be on the passenger side of the bay and probably needs replaced at this point) into the can. i've done it myself and have even gone so far as to run a hose from where the stock hardline is attached by a hose to the gas tank, out the filler door and into a gas can in the bed of the truck so that i could drive it around. if you go with 15s you shouldn't need low profile tires, i run 16s on my little miss and she's got 55 series tires on her. 

nice looking start, welcome to the shit show brother

ive been debating between 15s or 16s. thanks for the info on the gas can, going to try it!

All 620s with a DOM prior to: 01/78 have a bed mounted tank. Jan. '78 and on are all frame mounted. Nice score! Welcome!

hopefully this one can be fixed! thanks!

Great find - and the front valance isn't even pushed in.  I thought they ALL were!  

i've been looking at a bunch of build threads and noticed most are lol!

• Like 1

I have similar mirrows on my 521.

If you have the hubcaps I would just paint the rims white and leave the bocy patina white as it is maybe buff wax it . call it good.

yeah i like the body look as it is. maybe i'll have someone down the road clear coat it so it doesn't deteriorate much more, but keep the look.

• Like 1

good news, got the engine running! uploading video to youtube now

while trying to start it the ignition switch fell to pieces lol, so had to start it at the starter and order a new ignition.

now just have to start replacing everything that's dry rotted, pull the tank and order new carb, brake lines, master cylinder, slave, etc.

i got some pics of the floor boards, passenger side is the worst.

MaLPE97.jpg

jGRBlJ2.jpg

can anyone shed some light on what kind of wiring job someone did on this? or send me a schematic? i found some for 73+ but not for a 72.

fr5qTJs.jpg

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...

a little update, got the truck to my house as it was being stored at my dad's shop. after getting it running ive been doing a tune up and going through the brakes. currently waiting on adjusters from thailand to complete the brakes. in the mean time im replacing all hoses i see cracked and about to pull the bed to get the tank out. one hose i see needs replacing comes from the bottom of the intake and looks like it connected to the block, issue is the hose is 5/8 on the intake but where it connects to is 1" and someone has spliced a 5/8 hose and hose clamped it to make it fit on the 1" end. I'm sure these originally were not connected, or if they were they were certainly connected a different way. any insight of where these should connect?

• Like 1

Pcv pipe. There should be a pipe that protrudes out of the block under the intake, and a bended hose connects to the intake. In the second photo just under your fingertips, you can see the pcv pipe to the block. Presuming it's a stock l16.

Is the hose connected to a different location or did you take it off to show it to us?

• Like 1

Pcv pipe. There should be a pipe that protrudes out of the block under the intake, and a bended hose connects to the intake. In the second photo just under your fingertips, you can see the pcv pipe to the block. Presuming it's a stock l16.

Is the hose connected to a different location or did you take it off to show it to us?

yes in the second photo im showing where the hose went to, but it's a 1" diameter. yes stock l16. how would i connect the hose to it without hacking the hose up like the last guy did. i took off the hose to show you where it was going to.

• Like 1

yes in the second photo im showing where the hose went to, but it's a 1" diameter. yes stock l16. how would i connect the hose to it without hacking the hose up like the last guy did. i took off the hose to show you where it was going to.

I can't upload a picture right now, but I assume you need this hose 

http://www.new-datsun-parts.com/images/52166a.jpg

I don't think you can find that part easily anymore, the easiest way I found was to combine a couple of hoses and adapters together to make the piece. Nothing crazy, it won't be under pressure or anything like that.

• Like 1

I can't upload a picture right now, but I assume you need this hose 

http://www.new-datsun-parts.com/images/52166a.jpg

I don't think you can find that part easily anymore, the easiest way I found was to combine a couple of hoses and adapters together to make the piece. Nothing crazy, it won't be under pressure or anything like that.

you the man! i might look for some kind of adapter. ive been asking a few people and they came up blank as to why they would be connected but different size. any idea on part number for this hose? update:found part number thanks!

• Like 2

Wow! What a score. And so original.

I'm fascinated by the dealer welding his name into the bumper for advertising. Never seen it before. Maybe a local tradition? Farming or construction tradition? I know rear bumpers are not in fashion all the time, but I'd sure keep that if I were you. The last 620 I bought, the PO's daughter was learning to drive, threw it in reverse and it a cinder block wall. The bumper brackets folded up like paper clips. The bumper stayed straight, and the sheet metal was never touched. I saved the bumper and am putting it on my current truck.  

F.Y.I. At our dealership we always installed the mirrors opposite way. Never knew why. The way yours are mounted are similar to a military patch chevron.  

Congrats on a great purchase.

• Like 1