Dash lights don't work

PercyTheAce

I have an 81 210 and my dash lights don't work. All the bulbs are good and all the grounds seem to be good, so I thought it was the dimmer switch/rheostat. I went to the local junkyard and pulled the only replacement they have to see if it works and it doesn't. All the other lights on the dash work along with tail lights and running lights and headlights and such. Any tips? I did read this thread http://community.ratsun.net/topic/65871-dash-lights-not-working/but I don't know if the rerouting trick they did there will work and personally I don't want to try it and find out it didn't work and I know have to replace all the bulbs.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Connecting 2 and 3 just grounds the lamps and they are on at full brightness and not adjustable.

B210_1978_38c.jpg

For this to work there must be power on #1 and ground on #3. If you changed the dimmer switch and it didn't help then likely power #1 or ground #3 is missing.

Check for power on #1 and make a new ground for #3

I had this problem and it turned out to be related to a fuse.  Not the fuse itself, but a loose connection to the fuse itself.  Might want to start simple and go from there.

That diagram that Mike posted should help.  Stick a voltage tester on it and see if there's any power going to it.  At least, that's where I would start.

There is a thread around here somewhere about dash lights not coming on right away when you turn the column switch. I don't think it was a 210 but was a column switch issue. My dash lights don't pop on right away sometimes i fiddle with the switch.

This happened to me on a B210 and a 210. As well as the aforementioned "wiggle the fuse" fix. 

Step #1 in chasing electrical gremlins in a Datsun: Clean the fuse box and replace all the fuses.  :thumbup: