Ignition switch wiring 1978 620

willz

Previous owner hacked the ignition switch and harness off and threw some cheap universal switch in. Now there's only 4 wires instead of what I would assume would have been 5? It's a 6 plug with 5 pins. Did he wire it correctly? I'll be mating this to the dzstart harness and want to make sure I know exactly what wire is what.

81703D63-A4F3-43AE-A9F5-B5B522CF4152_zps
B8EDF2AA-60B7-4E99-A328-BA4717445B8D_zps

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No way to know as that isn't a Nissan plug. Might as well be for a Ford.

What I can tell you is where the '78 wires should go.

Large thicker White wire..... main power wire from the fusible link to ACCY, ON and START

Black/Yellow........................ sends a start signal to the starter solenoid when ignition is in the START position

Black/White......................... powers the ignition coil + terminal, also ignition relay, transistor ignition in the ON and START ignition positions

Blue..................................... goes to the transistor ignition and to the coil negative terminal in ACCY and ON positions.

Previous owner hacked the ignition switch and harness off and threw some cheap universal switch in. Now there's only 4 wires instead of what I would assume would have been 5? It's a 6 plug with 5 pins. Did he wire it correctly? I'll be mating this to the dzstart harness and want to make sure I know exactly what wire is what.

After market switch, looks to be wired correctly

81703D63-A4F3-43AE-A9F5-B5B522CF4152_zps

B8EDF2AA-60B7-4E99-A328-BA4717445B8D_zps

• 1 year later...

You'll need a third switch. Although it will likely start without it, the supply of 12 volts directly to the coil increases the spark voltage during starts. You can't run 12 volts continuously or the coil will over heat and points will arc and burn out in 50-100 miles.

Ignition goes to the ballast resistor.

Start goes to the starter solenoid.

3rd switch goes around the ballast directly to the coil positive terminal. Turn on when starting the engine and turn off when engine starts.

If you use a double pole single throw switch with one to the starter and the other to the coil. That would work.

DPST-diagram.png

It's just plain easier to use a proper ignition switch. One to the starter and one to the coil