Tips to clean and degrease engine bay?

Knightnite05

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Take air cleaner off and cover carb. Youll be spraying water not drowning it so it should all just trickle down. I pressure wash engines at work but they are also a little newer, Mercedes. If you are too worried you can cover up wire connections and relays but just spray on the cleaner and let it sit. It might remove or thin out paint so pick your poison. Oven degreaser is amazing for grease but def removes paint. Purple power can remove paint but slower to do it. Just keep water out of any engine holes and you'll be good. 

I'd unplug the battery and take that out. Try not to get water in the carb or alternator. Let everything air dry really good before starting it up.

When you spray the degreaser, I use a red shop towel and gloves and hand scrub everything. Anything in a super tight space I use those plastic black toothbrush looking tools. After all that and it's dry, I use a car detailer spray and wipe everything down by hand again. Sometimes I'll hand buff larger spots with a rag and compound, finish everything off with ether carnuba wax or a spray

Simple Green will degloss all your paint and eat the print off of decals.   Its very effective, but only if you want to buff or repaint everything.  Foaming engine cleaner may be gentler.  Dawn dish soap is very gentle and strong.  This is more about elbow grease than chemicals.  

• Like 1

Simple Green will degloss all your paint and eat the print off of decals.   Its very effective, but only if you want to buff or repaint everything.  Foaming engine cleaner may be gentler.  Dawn dish soap is very gentle and strong.  This is more about elbow grease than chemicals.

Woah!, thanks for the tip!, I don't mind the elbow grease.

Simple Green does not remove paint.  It dulls the finish, and makes it difficult to buff back out.  I use a gallon a week in my ultrasonic parts washer.  I'm VERY familiar with its characteristics, and even the new formula change (lower pH) in the last few months.  Its a base (high pH) cleaner.  Adding baking soda to Dawn may give you a similar effectiveness as a cleaner, but I'd be cautious and test it before using it in a widespread area.  Cleaners with "hang time" like foaming engine cleaner or scrubbing bubbles make the job a little easier since they can soak for a while without running off.  That's where a gel of Dawn and baking soda may be effective?  Mostly just speculation, but worth a try.  

• Like 2